7970 black edition or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Until there's proof that a patch fixes the problem we really don't know if it's a software or a hardware problem. I am quite sure that AMD should of been testing their new cpu with Windows from the initial testing to its final release. So this problem never should of risen and I'm not confident that a patch is going to help much.

It's never going to run as fast as it could

That's 100% true at this time, the 7970 is going to run faster with a Intel cpu and it may still be true after the AMD patch.

If the Patch works and AMD takes the lead I'll buy one as soon as I get the extra cash, but I'm not going to recommend a product that might work great after a patch until it does work great.

Right now, if I was building a PC I would buy a PII X4 before I bought a FX-series or a PII X6, if I couldn't afford a Intel. But in reality I would buy the Intel and a slightly slower video card than a 7970.

I normally use a galaxy s2 which doesnt lag on this website like the i(****) device. I was trying to type and the keyboard didnt keep up with me so instead of starting a new line it submitted the text. im on the s2 right now for eg. and i agree with your statement and the only reason id buy an 8150 was if i already had and am3 setup... from scratch however go intel it's the better option.

You said you wanted this build to last as long as possible? Im not sure what the rest of your build looks like but the 2011 chipsets are the newest from intel. I would hate for you to build a computer on what is now a legacy chipset and not be able to update the cpu in a few years when you want or need more speed.

If your buying a 7970 then buying a AMD cpu is like deliberately bottlenecking it. It's like putting a Chevy engine in a Ferrari. Sure it will still run fast but it's never going to go as fast as it could. Buy a i7 2600K or a new i7 3930K and play with the big boys :thumbsup:

Hold on back up a second. U saying Bulldozer bottlenecks the 7970? Care to explain ur statement?

UPDATE:

Just read some of ur posts. We will see how the upcoming patch does. Going from Phenom II x4 940 to this is a BIG upgrade for me n i feel special :). The question is, have CPUs, whether Intel or AMD been bottlenecking GPUs for a while? GPUs r starting to do the CPUs dirty work n work off background stuff as well, thus freeing up the CPU a bit.

i'm making a b rand spankin new computer. i'm still waiting on the 7970 to go back in stock 9 (Lol). I'm currently running Phenom II x2 555 BE with ATI 5850.

it just doesn't cut it. and my mom needs a new computer too (she has 4 laptops, each one over 4 years old) so slow. i feel bad ;)

so i'm probably going to get 2500k or 2600k depending on my current monetary situation.

@Wildside. i have no idea if the CPU bottlenecks the GPUs. but i know what you mean when the GPU's are starting to do the CPUs work in the background.

Yea, after looking around, lga 2011 doesn't seem to have a very solid future. After Ivy Bridge-e the chipset looks dead. The lga 2011 socket seemed to branch off the original sandy bridge architecture.
Intel seems to have bigger plans coming early next year anyway, Lga 1150 for example. Since the 1155 platform compared to the 2011 platform for most tasks does a similar job, in a value for money sense I can't see the point of lga 2011 since it's future may only be 6 months longer than the 1155 platform.

Hold on back up a second. U saying Bulldozer bottlenecks the 7970? Care to explain ur statement?

@Wildside. i have no idea if the CPU bottlenecks the GPUs. but i know what you mean when the GPU's are starting to do the CPUs work in the background.

If you can overclock your cpu and your frames per second increase then you have reduced the amount of cpu bottlenecking your system is experiencing. When increasing the cpu speed no longer makes a difference then the bottleneck has been eliminated, or the cpu has just reach it's maximum capabilities. Just about every cpu made is going to bottleneck most modern high performance video cards, the trick is to buy a setup that produces the least amount of bottlenecking.

If you can overclock your cpu and your frames per second increase then you have reduced the amount of cpu bottlenecking your system is experiencing. When increasing the cpu speed no longer makes a difference then the bottleneck has been eliminated, or the cpu has just reach it's maximum capabilities. Just about every cpu made is going to bottleneck most modern high performance video cards, the trick is to buy a setup that produces the least amount of bottlenecking.

That seems to make since.

Thats correct. Otherwise gamers wouldnt overclock in the first plsce :big_smile:

:)

Update! i ordered my 7970! it's not black edition though. i read up on it hearing that the fan's are quite good for stock model, and the overclocking abilities are ridiculous. i don't think black edition would be necessary. Thanks alot guys! it should be here tomorrow or the day after!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom