Best Gaming Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

digdug

Solid State Member
I have been shopping around for the best gaming computer and I was hoping to get some advice. Unfortunately, building it myself is not an option, so I've been looking at some top names (I think?!). I checked out the Dell XPS, Alienware area 51, Puget, and xdreammachines. Two more questions- Intel or AMD & what type of monitor?

Boy, that is quite the question!

Performance vs Cost? How important is graphics? Do you need/want a 'maintenance package?' Do you want to be able to work on it yourself if something goes wrong? For gaming, do want a gaming mouse/keyboard or is the one that 'comes' with the package ok? Do you want >5.1 dolby w/ surround sound, or are two low budget tin-sounding speakers w/ on-borad sound ok? Flat Screen, LCD Screen, or Boat Anchor monitor? I prefer AMD over INTEL, but honestly I its mostly preference... You'll want fast refresh on the monitor...etc.

I know that you said you don't want to, or your situation requires that you can't build it yourself... But you should look into it - because its actually not that difficult, and you could save yourself some money. If you get well supported equipment/components, and on the equip list for XP, it is as straigtforward as hooking together some components... imho

But I do understand, and know that there are reasons for not wanting to do build it yourself. There are a few threads going currently that discuss the pros and cons of some namebrand machines...check 'em out. But honestly, I wouldn't think a namebrand machine would be the "Best Gaming Computer." Unless you are rich and can throw money at alienware type equipment.

hmm...I apologize for not really answering your question..heh.

Thanks for the reply, Chalk, even though you present me with more questions I had not even begun to contemplate. To answer one of questions, no, I am not rich, but I dont seem to have the time (or know how) to build my own. Can you refer me to any sites that can guide me down the path of self construction(destruction)?
About the monitor- I just want the best freekin' graphics I can get. I was told a flat panel wouldnt be the best choice. Is this right?
What is different about a gaming mouse/keyboard?
What would it cost for me to build a high quality machine?
Thanks for your input

Hey,

Lets see, so many questions to choose from...

A gaming mouse is usually a scrolling optical mouse with buttons on either side (where your thumb rests). These usually never come with a store bought pc and are about $30 bucks. I'm working on my first build and yes it is rather fun. I have a monitor and keyboard and mouse, so I didn't have to buy them. In all I have spent a little over $600, which is the amount you would pay for a very low end Dell. Yet, I have my pc full of nearly top of the line parts. My computer would cost you over $1000 if you bought it from Alienware or Dell. I've read reviews on Dell's new "gaming machine" and I've heard that it's not all it's hyped up to be. If you have to, go with Alienware or Dell for gaming, but then you're going to be spending the big bucks.

When you build your own machine you know what's in it and you're not going to get all the "extra" stuff that clogs up a pc which you buy from a store. Also, a home built computer just runs better.

Forgot to add that you would need to add $100 more to it for Win XP ---- I have a copy here I'm using.

"A gaming mouse is usually a scrolling optical mouse with buttons on either side (where your thumb rests)."

Sorry, scrolling means it has a scroll wheel on it.

Personally,(being the hardcore gamer i am) i would go with the alienware. here is why, Gaming you will want high proformance parts, understanding that all of those systems that you have mentioned are high quality systems, but from personal experience i have found to like the alienware better then dell.

AMD > Intel any day. AMD is cheaper, and faster.

for a monitor, well there are many brands of monitors that would work just fine, i would definitly recommend getting a LCD flat screen,it is much better on your eyes and light weight. there are many brands that would work good there just pick what you like at that point.

best gaming system, ever!

BEST GAMING COMPUTER:

3-Year AlienCare Toll-Free 24/7 Phone Support with Onsite Service
*****Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 3.2GHz 800MHz FSB w/ 512KB Cache & HyperThreading - NEW!*****
2GB DDR SDRAM PC-3200 - 4 x 512MB Module
320GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 Serial ATA - RAID 0
Samsung 52x24x52x16x CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive
Plextor PX-504A 4x DVD+R/W
Alienware™ USB 2.0 256MB Flash Drive
Alienware™ 6-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal Card Reader
ATI RADEON™ 9800 PRO 256MB 8x AGP w/DVI & S-Video
Creative Sound Blaster® Audigy 2 Platinum - 6.1 w/Black Audigy 2 Drive
Intel® PRO/1000 MT Gigabit Desktop Adapter
US Robotics 56K V.92 Performance Pro Modem
Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional
NEC 30" LCD3000 LCD - Black
Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 500-Watt THX Speakers
Conspiracy Blue Microsoft Internet Keyboard & Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0 - USB
Belkin Universal UPS 1200VA
Canon i950 Bubble Jet Printer with 6' USB Cable
Iomega Zip® 250MB USB Zip Drive
Nexland Pro800Turbo Router/Firewall
Final Fantasy® XI Beta Kit
Enter the Matrix Bundle
Alienware Extreme Gaming bundle
3DMark®03 Pro
Microsoft Office XP Professional
Free Alienware® T-Shirt
Bonus 12-Month Subscription to Computer Games Magazine
AlienAutopsy: Automated Technical Support Request System

all this for only:

$9,923.00 as low as $298/mo*
(please call for volume pricing)

and if you dont have the money for this system (who does?) i would suggest a samsung lcd, they rock

AND BTW, AMD CANT TOUCH THIS PROCESSOR

digdug,

try this site...www.ibuypower.com

Amd performs on par with Intel P4 at 75% speed (amd 1.5ghz is equal to p4 2ghz) which means it has efficient architecture..P4 may not be as efficient as Amd, but it will
rest inside a pc thats compatible with 3party hardware and software....so your choice there bro!

lcd or crt....whats your budget?

you can build a quality machine for about $1,000 ..more or less,...this depends on your definition of quality. if you mean top of the line quality,..expect to spend more than that,..say,..round $5,000

I'm an Intel fanatic,..but I'm building my first AMD pc in about a month or two.

Thanks for the help guys. I am learning more with each new post.
I have around $400 for a monitor-what does the samsung LCD go for? And a good CRT?
PCMagazine (or something) has an artice this month comparing the Dell XPS, Voodoo, and alienware systems. Haven't read it yet, but it should shed some light on the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom