Change to the Hardware forums

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
This is a heads up for members. we will be doing a little restructuring of the hardware forums in a couple of days.

The current setup is this:
  • General Building, Buying and Upgrading
  • High Performance Building, Buying, and Upgrading
  • Laptops and Notebooks
    • Netbooks
  • Overclocking and Modding
    • Cooling
  • Hardware Problems and Troubleshooting
  • Everything Else Hardware

We will be changing it to this:
  • New Systems | Building and Buying (repurpose high performance builds and upgrades)
  • System Upgrades (repurpose General buying and upgrading)
    Need to replace or add a graphics card, power supply, hard drive, whatever? Come on in!
    Whether you want to buy a system from a manufacturer or build one yourself, this is the place for parts lists and PC recommendations.
  • Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting (repurpose Hardware Problems and Troubleshooting)
  • Overclocking and Modding
    • Cooling
  • Laptops and Notebooks
    • Netbooks
  • Monitors, Printers and Peripherals (repurpose Everything else Hardware)
    New Equipment Selection, Upgrades, Troubleshooting and Repairs

Once we make the changes we will be moving recent threads to the proper forum (mainly in the two main Hardware forums).

This thread is to let you all know what is coming so no one freaks out when it happens. The changes are being made to better reflect the kinds of topics we get here on Tech-Forums and to better define things so newbies will know where to go.

Do you not think a Tablets section might be needed alongside Laptops and Notebooks/Netbooks?

Anyway, yay. It never made any sense to me to have a forum each for high-end and mid/low-end systems.

Will TF be going offline while the changes are taking place...?

As Janet said we will be doing it live. I will probably kick it off tomorrow morning and use two browsers so I can switch threads without having to wade back through what I just moved.

Do you not think a Tablets section might be needed alongside Laptops and Notebooks/Netbooks?

Anyway, yay. It never made any sense to me to have a forum each for high-end and mid/low-end systems.

Tablets currently are in with Mobile Phones, but we may migrate them up and add them to Netbooks, or even replace netbooks with tablets on down the road... if the industry holds out.

It made sense when we first made the change. Originally the Hardware forum was a lot smaller and threads got buried really fast. We split it up to better help people and to keep threads more visible. Now, though, modern processors are all really fast (unlike the days when socket A and s939 were both in the market), and way too many people think adding a graphics card to their Dell P4 makes it high-end...

The main moves/changes have been made. We will be fine tuning it as we go.

Trotter said:
This thread is to let you all know what is coming so no one freaks out when it happens.
I hadn't read this, freaked out a little when I logged on. All good now though :thumbsup:

Yami said:
It never made any sense to me to have a forum each for high-end and mid/low-end systems.
+1 to that, especially since we occasionally got $200 upgrades in high-end and $2,000 builds in mid/low.

Back
Top Bottom