got 800bones and need a new pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason703

Beta member
i everyone im hoping some of you smart people on this forum can help me. i think its about time i upgrade my old intel duel core system so im here. now ive takin apart a few old computer destin for the dump and upgraded ram, so i feel rather comfortable in putting one together. but when it comes time to picking out the parts im alittle lost. now im a gamer Dragon age, beat hazard, borderlands to name a few so i dont think ill need a super gaming pc but things can aways look nicer:grin:. i have 2 monitor 22" and 17" and tend to have alot of windows open. from my research i think ill need a quad core and faster ram? i was looking through newegg and whats up with harddrive prices? after seeing that crap i think ill just take the hdd out of my pc and reuse it and i have a windows 7 disc. and turn around and sell the pc w/o a hdd. as said in the title i have 800 bucks but spending less is never a bad thing :wink:

Edit: forgot to ask about overclocking wondering if its hard and do you need to know anything special to do it without frying your computer

If you do a search thru the General and High performance sections, people have suggested LOTS of different builds to others, (both AMD and INTEL) so I would start there.

Is your Windows 7 license Retail or OEM? If its OEM and has already been loaded onto a computer it is tied to that motherboard.
It should identify what type of license it is on the box, on the sticker, or if it is loaded onto a computer:
Right-click on My Computer and select Properties. On General Tab, under “Registered to:” you can see a product ID (divided into 4 groups of characters separated by hyphens). On an OEM installation, the 2nd group of characters is always OEM whereas on a Retail installation, you will see numbers (such 623).

Assuming it is Retail, or has not been loaded, my suggestion:

CPU + Cooler: $260 Intel i5 2500K + Corsair CAFA70 (currently out of stock)
Motherboard: $170 MSI Z68A-GD55 (G3)
RAM + Case: $89 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X + Cooler Master HAF 912
Case Fans: $30 Cooler Master SickleFlow 120mm (x3)
PSU + ODD: $75 OCZ ModXStream Pro 600 + Sony 24x DVD/CD Burner
GPU: $190 HIS IceQ HD 6870

Total = $814 (-$105 in rebates = $709)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom