Finishing up my build, quick HDD question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

spanktastic

Solid State Member
So I've been building/buying this computer for about 2-3 months now and I'm finishing up my last few pieces this weekend, here's the build so far..

MB - Newegg.com - ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

PSU - Newegg.com - CORSAIR Professional Series HX750 (CMPSU-750HX) 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

CPU - Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 970 Black Edition Deneb 3.5GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HDZ970FBGMBOX

Case - Newegg.com - RAIDMAX Altas ATX-295WBP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply

SSD - Newegg.com - OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

I have all that at my house, and this is what I'm ordering soon..

GPU - Newegg.com - EVGA 012-P3-2068-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 448 Cores Classified 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

OS - Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - Operating Systems

DVD Drive - Newegg.com - ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - CD / DVD Burners

I'm pretty sure it's all compatible, if not let me know, but as for my question. I was told to just use my SSD for storage of everything until the prices for HDD's recede at least a little bit, so I bought the 120gb SSD. Is it gonna be enough space or should I try to scrounge up another $150 or so for a decent HDD? I'm just scared that Win7 and a few games (WoW, SWTOR, LoL) might fill up my SSD too fast, but I could be mistaken.

If I do need an HDD, I was looking at either..

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

or

Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

I like Seagate drives
Is there any reason for that Slay?
I have always assumed that Seagate and Western Digital were equivalent in terms of reliability and offerings. I have always preferred the WD Caviar Blacks due to the long, 5 year warranty.

If I'm not mistaken the prices of the HDD wont drop until end of this year begining of next year. Lots to repair from the flooding in Thailand. Personally I would get the extra HDD for the games. MMOs like wow and TOR have lots of big content patches, between wow and windows thats half the drive right there.

Personally I only buy Western Digital Caviar Black because of the warranty they offer and I've never had an issue with WD. In looking online at the reviews and same products on sites such as Amazon, Tigers Direct, Frys Electronics, it looks like people are having more problems with the Seagate model than the WD, but for the specs that's not a bad price, so it really breaks down to what you want. Even being a fan of WD I would prob lean towards that Barracuda.

It really depends, I prefer seagate over WD because of the issues I've experienced in the past with their drives. Samsung is becoming a decent all round manufacturer for almost everything these days. But as long as the company has a decent warranty and you look up reviews for each drive, you should be sweet. And as for having 120gb for storage, no way that will work since games can take up 20gb alone.

Okay so I got my paycheck and I can buy everything for my build now. But I only have about $120 for my HDD. Which one should I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom