Would I see much real world difference between these two SSD's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Would I see much real world difference between these two SSD's?

Patriot Pyro SE PPSE120GS25SSDR 2.5" 120GB SATA III

Performance

Max Sequential Read
Up to 550 MB/s

Max Sequential Write
Up to 520 MB/s

4KB Random Write
Up to 85,000 IOPS

Intel 320 Series SSDSA2CW160G3K5 2.5" 160GB SATA II

Performance

Sustained Sequential Read
Up to 270 MB/s

Sustained Sequential Write
Up to 165 MB/s

39,000 IOPS random 4 KB reads; up to 21,000 IOPS random 4 KB writes

My definition of "real world" would be basic computing, watching movies, a game now and then, etc. I realized there are significant differences in the read/write/IOP's between these two SSD's, but would I see experience much of a difference in these real world settings?

Last, in relation to all the various "firmware" issues, which one of these SSD's seems to be better?

Thanks,

Soar

In the real world you won't notice much of a difference, the Patriot will be slightly faster, it might load Windows a few seconds faster and it might load a program a few milliseconds faster.

Every manufacturer has a few firmware issues with every model of there drives. I've never had a problem but that's how it goes.

Slay,

Ok, thanks for the info. If you were in my position, which drive would you choose? I have both sitting on my workbench...both are new, the Intel already has the lastest firmware. The Intel is 160 GB whereas the Pyro is 120 GB.

I am leaning toward the Intel because of the extra storage, but I love the speed too, so that makes me wanna go the Pyro direction...feels like a darn tug-a-war. Both of my MB's have the SATA III.

Soar

Soar

If I could only choose one drive I would probably go with the Intel strictly because of the extra storage space. But if you have two drives why not just use both of them? I'm running three ssd's in my rig.

Slay,

Yes, I seem to be leaning more and more toward the Intel after reading your post.

Please let me explain my situation...I am doing my best to keep unnecessary costs down...

In my mind, the only reason I need a SSD is for the Windows OS and a few programs. I cannot see a logical reason to use 2-3 SSD's in a single system when I view it through the eyes of a strict budget [unless it is for the RAID purposes, and I am avoiding RAID because TRIM is important to me].

For the life of me, I cannot see why I would need 3 SSD's in a single system. Perhaps you are using your system for some super high end computing with which I have very, very little understanding!

The main reason I purchased some SSD's was for the purpose of speeding up my system because time is money...

I did purchase more than one SSD per computer because I found some super low prices [the 160 GB Intel SSD's were well under $150 per unit] and I was planning on selling some of them [on fleabay and CL] to offset the costs of the ones I will use.

I will at times purchase large quantities of components and then sell most of them, make a profit, then keep what I can use to build a nice rig. By doing so, it makes it possible for me to build some nice computers cost free [I am not in a position to throw away thousands of dollars on a computer rig, so I work a little harder to make it free].

Ok, hope I did not overdo it by spilling the beans!

Thanks for your insights...they truly are invaluable and as always, you have helped me and hundreds of other people very, very much!

Soar

Most people buy a SSD and then they still use a HDD for minor programs and data storage. I'm using SSD's for everything, the 3rd drive I'm using is strictly for the Page file, Temporary Internet files and Temp files. I've eliminated all drive related bottlenecks.

Yes, I have some 1.5 TB and 2 TB Western Digital Caviar's for storage and any programs that require lots of room. Ok, now I see why you are using 3 SSD's...and that must be nice to have that type of speed at your fingertips!

I am thinking I will remain with the Intel 320 Series rather than jump over to the Pyro SE for several reasons:

Warranty [Intel offers 5 year, whereas Patriot offers 3 years.
Intel SSD Toolbox [I like it]!
Reviews: Intel Series 320 have had lots of good reviews, I can only find 4 reviews for the Pyro SE
Storage: Intel has the 160gb, Pyro SE has 120gb
Speed: Like you said, it will not be that big of a difference in the real world setting...

Thanks again for your help Slay!

Soar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom