Monitor vs TV for gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

u4ic_fln

Baseband Member
I built my computer about 18 months ago designed for gaming. I am using a SAPPHIRE TOXIC HD5850 for my video card which has 2xDual-Link DVI, 1xHDMI, and 1xDisplay Port outputs. I have 2 monitors hooked up right now (via the 2xDual-Link DVIs) and the time has come to upgrade one of my monitors. The plan is to get a new #1 monitor, start using my current #1 Monitor as my #2 Monitor and get rid of my current #2 Monitor.

My question is, with a $500 budget, is it reasonable to consider buying a TV (such as this one) with HDMI and/or Display port to use as my monitor 1? Or should I just stick with a computer monitor?

Thanks in advance for any help. =)

extra info: This is more of a generic question than a specific choice between the two options linked above. They are just examples for what is available within my price range.

You'll find that alot of cheap monitors out there match TV spec nowadays, with HDMI and full HD res.

But thats good and bad you'll find most tvs are between 5-8ms in terms of speed with monitors for gaming about 2, not too noticeable.

A higher resolution seems great but it can push the GPU further and cause lag compared to say a 1600x whatever monitor.

Personally you can get the best of both worlds with say, a 24" HD monitor

Get an X-Box. :lol:

But, yeah, you won't gain that much at all with a TV. Unless you just want to play it in the TV room, go for the TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom