Need suggestions on what to upgrade!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengjo

Baseband Member
I'm thinking about upgrading a part or two (if cheap) to gain better performance in games.
Right now it's going pretty smoothly, to give you some kind of perspective: I can run Skyrim on max settings, always above 60 fps.

I still want things to run just a little bit smoother, thinking about games such as BF3.

Current specs:

CPU: Intel i5 2500K (3,30 ghz)
MB: MSI Z68A-GD55 G3
RAM: 8GB
GPU: EVGA GTX 570
PSU: Corsair TX650M

I put the PSU in there in case suggestions of new parts might require more wattage or something like that.

Budget-wise I don't really want to go very high. I was thinking about overclocking, but given my current system has no additional fans or CPU coolers,
and things hit degrees like 80, I think my entire system would just melt.

Any help is appreciated.

CPU is fine, RAM is fine, GPU is fine...
Short of slapping another 570 in there and upgrading the PSU to handle two of them (not a cheap option), overclocking is your best bet.

For $40 +/- $15 you can get a quality aftermarket cooler for the 2500K that will allow you to go over 4.0GHz.
You should be able to overclock the GTX 570 a bit as well, depending on temps.

What case are you using? might be worth it to invest in some more fans if you do consider OC'ing as an option.

*Edit - Went back to your build thread, knew the name looked familiar :thumbsup:

With the 400R you should have 5 (7) slots open for fans: 2 on top, 2 on side, 1 on bottom (2 on the the HDD cage inside).
I would suggest getting either the Cooler Master BladeMaster or Zalman ZM-F3
If you buy 3 or 4 you'll have plenty of options of where to put them for optimal cooling without breaking the bank.

For a CPU cooler I'd say depending on what you want to spend, roughly this order:
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo < Noctua NH-U9B < Noctua NH-U12P

yeah, unless you plan on adding another gpu...I would stand pat and do some overclocking.....maybe get a nice Heatsink & Fan for your 2500K

Thank you both for the quick commenting!

And thank you Roark for linking suggestions, and from komplett.no aswell. Awesome! :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom