Memtest fails when installing more than 3gb of ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazyq

krazy Techie
Hey guys,
I still have my old pc from 07
for a while i thought one of my ram slots were damaged so i got 2X2Gb of ram instead of 1X4.
Well memtest still failed.
I then tried using 3X1gb and memtest ran fine
as soon as i installed the 4th one, it failed in 10 sec.
Any idea why?
I"m running win 64bit
motherboard p35 ds3lr

Well, don't use all your 4 slots then?

Windows 7 64 I'm guessing?

Edit: I don't think the amount of RAM is causing the problem, just that one slot that you said is bad.

Yes, which version? There are different versions, then there is also two different "types" of memtest, one of them tests all ram, and another one has a capcity limit along with limits on what types of ram can be tested, but seems to be more aggressive on what memory it can test.

If only one RAM slot is giving you problems, then it's likely that the RAM slot is faulty.

run memtest with one stick of ram installed, one at a time, until you have tested each stick individually in the same slot. If all the sticks pass then the memory is good. If any sticks fail then they are bad. Now take the known good sticks and test them in the suspected bad slot. They should all fail, if some pass and some fail then you may have a problem with one channel of the memory controller.

i guess i should have mentioned that none of the sticks are faulty.
I did try them all individually.
I put 1 in = passed, then X2= passed, X3= Passed, X4= Fail...
even when i had the 2X2gb ram, i put one in= pass, as soon as i put the other 2X2= fail.
so it seems like when it hits 4gb of ram it fails.

I vote memory controller is faulty with larger amounts of ram. It takes more current to push larger amounts of ram, and the controller may be having usses with that much current.

so it's a hardware failure, so i'm stuck...
i dont get any errors using it, only when i run memtest it fails. I've used it for months and maybe i've gotten a total of 2-3 bsods....

btw, can my mobo support ssd? if so what kind? thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom