Hi, new member here.

Trying my first build:
i7 2600
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P
Coolermaster Silencio 550 case + pre-fitted PSU
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD
Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz Vengeance
AUS GTX560 1GB

I put the PC together a while ago, it didn't boot. The power light comes on once, for a split second, but otherwise I get no sort of action anywhere from any components. So, assuming it was down to faulty parts, I listened to the advice of two "experienced" friends. A bad idea instead of just paying someone to put it together; I returned the Silencio and got a new one like they suggested. The problem persisted and they told me it was the Motherboard this time. I returned the Motherboard for a new one, and the problem is still there. Luckily I have not wasted any money because I've been able to return the items.

I got power *once* - which was when I powered it up with only the following connected: CPU, RAM, and then the power/all the other essential connections. I've tried again with this set-up, but I get no power. I have tried resetting the cmos, I have double and triple checked the small connections (HDD LED etc.), I have tried without the GPU, without the RAM, multiple power leads, multiple sockets, but still no luck.

I put the PC together with an anti-static wrist strap and made sure I was very pre-cautious with it being my first build.

I'm hoping that somewhere out there, someone can suggest what I'm doing wrong! As I said luckily I have not wasted any money on this, merely time and effort. I am probably making a very stupid beginners mistake and hopefully someone who's done a similar build can help me out here.

Thanks in advance.

Something non-conductive like a wood desk or a large piece of cardboard, DON'T assemble it on the carpet.

Something non-conductive like a wood desk or a large piece of cardboard, DON'T assemble it on the carpet.
It worked, excellent, thank you!

Now for another noob question...I'm trying to install Win 7 but it just says "Loading operating system..." and doesn't seem to be doing anything. Is there something I need to do previously with the BIOS or one of those menus?

how long did it say "Loading operating system..." for? installing an operating system will take several hours. you should see something after a few minutes though...

in the bios, is the dvd drive set to boot first?

what exactly does the screen look like that it looks like it is hanging on?

Mind telling us what fixed it? For any other person looking on here for an answer.
I built the system on a large piece of cardboard on top of my desk. Then in the bios I changed it to drive to boot first and it loaded straight away. So exactly what was recommended! :)

I may as well put my other question in here instead of making new topics.

I want to either get files from my old HDD to my new one, or (ideally) move the old HDD to my new PC as a second HDD

The old HDD has Vista installed on it. The new one has Win 7. Is there a way I can move it without erasing files?

@ JSM12345, please don't double post, if you have something else to add to the conversation and no one has posted a reply since your last post (within a 24 hr. period), please use the edit button (looks like a pencil) to add it to your previous post.

Clone your old drive to the new drive, then you can run a upgrade from Vista to Win7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom