Gaming desktop ~2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would still get that motherboard, its a good board and you still get the $30 rebate.
When you say you already have an OS, is it a retail copy of Windows, or one that came with a pre-built computer, or Linux based?

The real benefit the 2600K has over the 2500K is hyper-threading and 2MB more L3 cache, neither of which justifies the ~$100+ price increase for a gaming based rig.

It should be a retail version but I'm not sure. My uncle said he could get it through his work for free.

I've been thinking, I've never installed an os before, will it give me options to choose the ssd over the other drive or should I hook just the ssd up first? I'm assuming the ssd is only for the os and the games I play.

one other question, what determines if I can hook up dual monitors? I would like to hook it up to my monitor and my television simultaneously.

Thanks again for all the help roark!

It will allow you to pick the drive. The graphics card (GTX 580 in this case) will allow you to hook up more than one monitor. I'd plug in just your monitor during install, then once everything is installed and running, shutdown, plug in your TV, and reboot to set up dual monitors in Windows.

If you're getting it new then you'll be fine, just didn't want you trying to install a Windows license that is already locked to another computer.

Hey, once last question before I buy the parts. If I want to hook the computer up to my wifi do I need another internal piece or can I just get a usb plug to pick up the wifi?

You can get a wireless adapter that fits into a PCI or PCIe slot, but a usb adapter will work. Just make sure you don't cheap out on the adapter or it will work well unless the wireless router is in the same room. (So $50 or more is the price range I suggest for a wireless adapter...for PCI/PCIe anyhow...not sure on USB).

Just wanted to add that if you haven't already picked a case, the Corsair 600T White SE case is the sexist case on the planet. it's also extremely easy to work with, is very large and has all the bells and whistles most users will need.

I've been reading a few mixed responses to a wireless pci adapter vs the usb plug in. my wireless router, at the max distance the computer can ever be, will only be one floor away. Does anyone have any personal experience with usb vs pci? I'm considering the usb since my wifi will be relatively close.
Thanks!

Edit - I've just placed my order. I'll post a follow up once I get everything working properly. Thanks for all the tips and the suggestions!

Hey, just wanted to post an update. The computer is assembled, and it was a sweet victory. Quite a sense of accomplishment when everything boots up and is in working order.

I still have to configure the bios and install the os before everything is ready to go. Thanks again for the encouragement, the money I saved building it has gone towards another monitor, a mouse, a keyboard and some extra hdmi cables.

In conclusion. . . Thank you for everything, glad that I came here before just dropping $2100 to have someone build basically the same computer. You guys rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom