Dumping Com Port Data onto notepad.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
Client as a point of sales system with an onboard Magnetic Card Stip Reader. The card trip reader is currently connected via Com4. It's used for the point of sales of sales software in to register VIP customer.
The card reader is replacing the need of a keyboard. So normally if you swipe the card, you will be able to get what ever data that is on the magnetic strip to come out on notepad.

Currently this is connected via COM4. I need the data that is coming from COM4 to be able to show up on a notepad document. Is there anyway via changing com port settings or registries keys in where we can get COM port data to come out on notepad.exe.

Harper, you may have a low chance of getting this to work, but I think I maybe to get you one step further to your answer.
Assuming you are using vista/7, hit start, go to my computer right click and hit device manager.
Navigate to your COM port lists, and hit properties, if anything is not greyed out change what port number you need.
Since I dont have enough knowledge about business card readers, you should be able to do some magic in there and get it to work.
If not, I would seek advice from saxon, he might be familiar with it and can get you a clear answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom