laptop not booting

Status
Not open for further replies.

faloma

Beta member
Hello,
I am pretty knowledgeable about computers but most my expertise is on the software/DB side of things. That doesn't stop friends and family from asking me to fix their mechanical computer problems and most that time it isn't an issue. Part of my problem with this case is I just don't have the tools to narrow the problem down.

I have a laptop where the corner (where the power plug also happens to be) has been smashed. When I took it apart to see how bad it is. There is only physical damage, it wasn't terrible. The metal hinge that connects the left end of the monitor to the case is obliterated but everything else seems fine. I was told it worked for a while after the damage but has since stopped working. My assumption was that the battery is no longer getting charged up do to the damage, but I have no way to test it with a different battery or putting the current battery in a new system.

Right now if I put pressure on the damage corner while power cable plugged in I can get the charging light to go on. If I hit the power button after it has been sitting for a while "charging" I can get it to send power for a fraction of a sec before going off. No screens load or anything but the power light goes green and I can hear the system cycle on for a sec before going blank again.

As of right now I intend to inform them they should take it to someone who has the tools to fix it because I would hate to buy them a new battery or replace the whole case itself only to have it not fix the problem. If you have any suggestions to test the battery or something that might be worth trying I would be thrilled to hear it!

Thanks for your time
Mike

In my experience most power connections are on the motherboard. I would look for damage on the motherboard. A resister that's broken I suppose would sends excess power to the system. If the system detects excess voltage it may cause it to automatically shut off to protect the components. Of course this is just a guess but normally MB damage usually means more cost repairing than a new laptop. The fact that You have to put pressure on it suggests a short in the wire or its connection to the board as well... post some pictures if You can!

Could be the PSU. The socket in your laptop where the AC connects. It could be that you busted it enough to cause this. If you are handy with a soder gun, you can re-solder it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom