Please critique my PC build

Status
Not open for further replies.

lukeAUS

Beta member
G'day all,

I am planning on ordering a new Windows PC to replace my crappy Dell. I'll be using it mostly for gaming, Skyrim and the like. Nothing massively demanding, but I'd like it to run current and upcoming games on standard settings without struggling too much.

I'm not really up to building it myself, so I am just picking out the components. I've been researching all day but I am only moderately clued up. My budget is about $1400. I'd be happy to hear your thoughts on this set-up, i.e. whether I am spending too much or too little in any one area.

CPU: Intel i7-2600
RAM: 8GB DDR3
Video: nVidia GTX 560
HD: 120GB SSD SATA3 (plus a 1TB SATA for storage, which I have already)

Am I right in thinking that the CPU is fine, and the better ones are not used much except by professional graphics software? Also, more than 8GB of RAM is not much use, right? How would you rate that video card relative to similarly priced competitors? And, is it really worth going for a solid state hard drive for programs and the OS over the regular kind?

The motherboard specs are listed as follows:

- Intel® Z68 Express Chipset
- Dual-channel DDR3 at 1333MHz.
- Realtek® ALC892 High Definition Audio codec
- Intel® Gigabit LAN controller
- IEEE 1394a and USB 3.0
- 100% high-quality solid Capacitors

That's all greek to me, but I guess it is fine?

The computer build website I am looking at does not say much about the PSU, but I gather it is worth emailing them for details so I don't get screwed on that (had lots of over-heating issues with the Dell).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Luke

Heya,

Thanks for the reply. Seems about the same, except with an i5 and no SSD? Do you reckon that an SSD and the i7 processor are not worth it then? Good to know Oz is similarly priced to the US, when I lived in Europe everything was 25-50% more because of tax.

Cheers

Personally would look at other cases. While Antec makes a quality case, the lower-end ones lack basic features like easy cable management.

If you have an interest in overclocking I would look at the non-LE versions of the Asus P8Z68.
The MSI Z68A-GD55 and GD65 are also good choices.

Not to sound weird or anything, I'm from AUS as well. In what state do you live? Because I can get parts in AUS that cost practically the same as newegg anyway.

And on the most part I agree with Jasonalwaysready's build, however unless you want to add another graphics card later on, you could get away with a cheaper psu like the Antec High current gamer 620w. And in my opinion in the current market amd/ati graphics cards are better value for money, and with the new 7xxx series cards being released within literally a few days you may be able to purchase a 6970 for a better price (or even a 6950 for less than the 560ti which is is virtually the same as).

Hey Skip,

Thanks for the reply! It's tempting to put off getting a PC for a month or so to see if I can get a better deal on the graphics card. I guess there is a fairly substantial bump from the 1GB to 2GB cards. I live in ACT, and I was thinking of ordering this model plus extras: Customized PC: i5-L z68 - Australia Computer Online. It's AUD $1222 with the i7, 8GB RAM, 6870 or GTX560 and a 60GB SDD. Seems pretty reasonable, though they don't say what PSU is included with that. I wrote to ask and am waiting on a reply. Do know any other good Oz-based sites I could look at, given that I don't want to build it myself?

Thanks a lot!

Well up here in qld we have alot of good price pc shops, such as Umart, gocomp, MSY etc. Unfortunately they aren't available in the ACT. However there is an online site called PC Case Gear you could try, they deliver which might suit you. The problem with the build you have on that website is you don't seem to have choice in the parts you get, which could mean they are cheap nasty low quality parts. On pccasegear the build I'd recommend for you is:CoolerMaster Elite 430 Black with window $55BitFenix Spectre 120mm Black Tinted Blue LED Fan X2 $19Intel Core i5 2400 $205Powercolor Radeon HD6950 2GB $279Seagate Barracuda 1TB ST31000524AS $109Corsair Force Series 3 60GB SSD $119ASRock Z68M USB3 Motherboard $95Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 $55Logitech Media Combo MK200 Keyboard and Mouse Pack $25Acer V223HQBD 21.5in Widescreen LCD Monitor $125Samsung SH-222AB SATA DVDRW Drive $22Aereon Asroc ASC-620C 620W Power Supply $65Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit with SP1 OEM $99That is for a full pc with nothing else needed, I am not sure if that $1255 build has every single component in it you desire (and at what brand/quality the other parts are either). This build is only has decent components that should be more than substantial to you. It is possible to tone down the graphics card and drop the hdd back down to a 500gb if you so desire. The i7 in your build above is useless over an i5 unless you do very heavy video encoding and editing.The total cost for that build comes to $1272 + shipping.

Thanks a lot for the help! I just ordered a set up similar to that, but with a Gladiator 600 case and no storage HDD or monitor/peripherals for $1000 after postage. I'll have a crack at building it myself, how hard can it be (hah!). I could use a project to avoid work.

All the best

There are plenty of tutorials that help you build a pc. But the most important thing is, the component will only go in one way and if it doesn't fit don't force it.

And with CPU's, they only go in one way, read the manual to make sure your lining it up correctly, and with cpu's these days you dont need to push them in at all (0 force required).

No worries, good luck with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom