6950 2GB or 570? Please no fanboys! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chad711

Daemon Poster
Ok I have a 4870 right now and want to get one of these cards. I've always went with ATI/AMD just due to cost.

I'm not someone that is looking for 1 more FPS and will spend $100 more for it. I'm not that person that had "all kinds of driver issues with ATI". I l play games here and there on my computer and currently I'm geeking out on SWTOR! All I'm going to do is plug it in, boot her up, max out settings and forget about it.

I was considering getting the 570 just to try out something new. Is that price tag ($70 more) worth it, or should i just stick with the 6950?

Edit: If it makes any difference, in the future I plan on upgrading everything in my sig to a i7, SSD hdd, ASUS rampage III and might just get one more of which ever gpu I buy. Maybe that will help you with answering my question?

Thank you!

ive done a lot of research, and from what ive seen in the games i play, the 570 wins.

you gotta look up benchmarks and see how the cards you want perform in the games you play.

ive done a lot of research, and from what ive seen in the games i play, the 570 wins.

you gotta look up benchmarks and see how the cards you want perform in the games you play.

Someone else mentioned the same thing to me yesterday. Is there a site that list games and which companies card handles them better?

SWTOR benchmarks from Tom's with max detail, 4xAA, 4xTrSSAA/Adaptive
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/star-wars-gaming-tests-review,3087-7.html
The 6950 isn't on there, but should perform ~10FPS below the 6970 based on other game performance (source).

Sounds like ATi/AMD has been working fine for you so far and the differences shouldn't be that great, 5FPS or so I'd guess.

Great link man! Looks like the ATI/AMD cards handle this game a little better?

@ Chad711, please don't double post, if you have something else to add to the conversation and no one has posted a reply since your last post (within a 24 hr. period), please use the edit button (looks like a pencil) to add it to your previous post.

Looks like the ATI/AMD cards handle this game a little better?
I wouldn't go that far...

Using AnandTech's general gaming benchmarks, 6970 > 570 by ~5FPS and the 570 > 6950 by ~5FPS (depending on game).
So really SWTOR is right in line with the rest of the games performance-wise.

If you're still considering Nvidia to "try something new" I would suggest looking at the GTX 560Ti 448 Core.

+1 on the 448 core. If your looking for the best bank for the buck in the $300 range right now. I have been reading on a bunch of different review sites, Guru, Canuck, etc. and no one really have anything bad to say about it - other than the limited time availability - so if your going to SLI then you need to buy 2 now. I am still getting the nerve ( deciding) to spend that $300 ( ouch) - so have not yet pulled the trigger - thinking the new 7000 series by AMD coming out soon will bring the costs of the 6000 series down - which will then bring the 570 and 560's ( ti and the 448 core ) down in price as well. So being patient for another 60 days for those price changes to take effect could prove your best strategy.

I'm not an ATI/AMD fanboy, in fact, I prefer Nvidia, but my 2 6950's are pretty beast. Even just one of them handles most games without a hitch. So if you go with another AMD card, grab a 6950 2gb (or two). If you go with Nvidia, the 560ti 448 core is an awesome card as well. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom