Is this too much, not enough or just the right amount of thermal paste?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hi everyone!

I just removed my 1055T from the Hyper 212+ after several months of usage. I am attempting to ascertain if I used too much, too little, or just the right amount of thermal paste. This rig ran a little hotter than my Intel 2500k rig. Neither system was overclocked, but I think the AMD sucks more wattage. This AMD rig ran around 30c idle, 45 cranked up.

BTW, when I was attempting to remove the Hyper 212+ from the Gigabyte 890XA-UD3 v.1 motherboard, it pulled the darn 1055T right out of the socket...ouch! I hope I did not damage the older motherboard. Could my yanking the 1055T right out of the socket damaged the socket?

Anyhow, I am sitting here waiting for some good feedback so I can install this 1055T in my new Gigabyte 990-XFA-UD3 with the right amount of thermal paste.

Please help if you can.

Is this too much, not enough or just the right amount of thermal paste?

Thanks,

Soar

Attachments

• Too much or too little TIM.jpg
    Too much or too little TIM.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 58
WAAY TOO MUCh.

with direct contact coolers like that, i like putting a %&#^# GRAIN OF RICE*(#*@(*** size blob on the processor, then taking a baggy and stretching it over my finger and smearing that around the processor for a nice even THIN coat.

Sean,

Thanks! I had a feeling I over did it. I watched tons of videos, read tons of articles, and did the best I could. A number of articles suggested filling in the grooves between the pipes on the HDT surface. I did that, but it sure required a ton of thermal paste. I hear you on the grain of rice. Now do you suggest one grain of rice down the middle, or two grains of rice about 30% off each edge?

It's me,

Sitting at the work bench, trying to put this back together,

Soar

one grain of rice size blob in the center of the processor... its going to take some time to smear that around the processor, its going to seem like you need more than that to cover the whole thing, but you dont... make it happen ;)

Thanks Sean! Will do! The CPU Cooler felt like it was cemented to the processor! I will use a twist to avoid the midst and that will hopefully put a slide in my glide!

Soar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom