Need Help upgrading very old system to play bf3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merc Hartman

Solid State Member
This is the first time I've ever tried to upgrade a computer. I've taken apart a few so I know the parts etc. but I'm on a budget of €500. so its not like I can just buy all the best parts, I'm not sure the power supply is sufficient either at 400watts? I'm not looking to be playing bf3 on max settings or anything. even medium with no lag issues would be great! also I'm not sure if *Red orchestra 2: Heroes of stalingrad* is more power hungry than bf3? That's one of my favorite games! if you guys and gals could go out of your way and give me an idea what I should expect with a budget like that. and if it is enough what I should be looking for in parts? It would be GREATLY! appreciated.

what needs to go. motherboard, Ram, cpu, gpu. maybe the power supply. the HDD isn't the best either but it will have to do if there's not enough money to go around. there's an 80gb + a 250gb Hdd. theres two dvd drives so no money needs to be spent there. Cheers in advance!

Couple of things to help us out:

1) What country are you going to be purchasing parts in?
2) What computer are you currently using? Assuming it was pre-built there should be a model #.
2a) If it isn't a pre-built, what case does this need to fit into, and do you have any more specifics on the PSU (like manufacturer/model #)?

Hey Roark. I'm living in Ireland. there's not a lot of places to buy parts here. so anywhere online that can ship to Ireland really. it was built way back in 2004, the power supply is an *E tech* model number *MPT-400* as for the case. here's the link. Xoxide X-Blade Extreme Case (Black) at Xoxide!

I'm not sure if I messed up on the reply. its not showing?

upgrading pc. good parts?

this is a part two of a previous thread. it went dead so I'll start another. here's the parts Im upgrading it with.

AMD Phenom II X4 960T Black Edition, S AM3, 3.0GHz, 8MB Cache, 95W, Retail Price: £95.95

1GB Gigabyte HD 6850 OC, 4200MHz GDDR5, GPU 820MHz, 960 Stream Processors, 2x DVI/ HDMI/ DP Price: £119.20

Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, AMD 770, AM3, PCI-E 2.0 (x16), DDR3 1666/1333, SATA 3Gb/s RAID, ATX Price: £57.32

8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 XMS3 Dominator, PC3-10666 (1333), Non-ECC, CL 9-9-9-24, DHX, XMP, 1.6V Price:£46

600W PSU, Corsair Builder Series CMPSU-600CXv2UK, 80% Eff', 80 PLUS, EPS 12V, Quiet Fan, ATX v2.3 Price: £54.72

That add's up to £409. now Ill be paying in euro so thats €496 and in dollars thats $633. what do you think? is it worth it? and what should I expect from these specs? My hdd is getting old too but it will have to do until I can get the funds to replace it. any savings there? or bad parts? all advice is greatly appreciated! btw the case this has to fit into is this one. to be honest Im not sure the motherboard will fit? Xoxide X-Blade Extreme Case (Black) at Xoxide!

Re: upgrading pc. good parts?

you are paying a premium just for aesthics for the corsair dominators.

same speed, cheaper
Corsair Memory 8GB DDR3 1333 Mhz CAS 9 Dual Channel Desktop - CMV8GX3M2A1333C9 - Scan.co.uk

faster speed, cheaper
Corsair Memory XMS3 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz CAS 9 Dual Channel Desktop - CMX8GX3M2B1600C9 - Scan.co.uk
I just said I am against paying premium for looks, but this one is only pennies more
Corsair Memory 8GB Vengeance Jet Black Low Profile 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz CAS 9 XMP Dual Channel Desktop - CML8GX3M2A1600C9 - Scan.co.uk

motherboard with fit. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom