Will my next upgrade require a PSU upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascendant

Baseband Member
Ok, here's my current specs:

motherboard - ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
cpu - AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor ADX250OCGQBOX
ram - Crucial 4GB (4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)
video card - EVGA GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16
hard drive - Western Digital Caviar RE WD1600YS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
psu - XCLIO Goodpower 500w
sound card - Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card
cpu cooler - Rosewill RCX-Z940-SL 92mm 2 Ball

I am looking to upgrade my CPU to this:
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HDZ980FBGMBOX

Considering I am going from a 65w to a 125w CPU on top of my current PSU demands, would I have to upgrade my PSU as well? I'm really not sure at this point whether 500w will cut it or not?

If I would need to upgrade my PSU, would someone be able to recommend one that would be suitable for my setup that is reasonably priced while at the same time a reliable product?

well from all the reviews from newegg and the web people have 560 ti's and phenom x4 and it works great so you probally wont have to upgrade ur psu

XCLIO is one of the worst power supply manufacturers on the planet. You should upgrade it now before any other improvements are considered.

XCLIO is one of the worst power supply manufacturers on the planet. You should upgrade it now before any other improvements are considered.

Odd, because when I bought it the reviews for it were excellent. I've also had it now for about 3 years with no problems at all.

I'm on a real tight budget, so Im wary of spending money on it if I dont need it.

Newegg reviews are trash. And you risk hurting your entire system if you get a cheap one. Get at least an Antec. They're about the cheapest you can go.

Newegg reviews are trash. And you risk hurting your entire system if you get a cheap one. Get at least an Antec. They're about the cheapest you can go.

Well after researching on the net, every single review I read about XCLIO PSU's (6) were very good, saying they are very stable, perform well, and all have high ratings from reviews. On a related note, Apevia seems to be the worst rated and also fraudulent since they don't put out the amount of watts they claim they are supposed to.

Anyway, if I were to get myself a new PSU, what are the good manufacturers?

Newegg reviews are trash.

Do you mean Neweggs official reviews, like Newegg TV, or the user reviews? Because most of the reviews are very helpful. I review every tech product I buy, even if I don't buy it from newegg, and I give an honest review, so other people can avoid the bad stuff, and get the good stuff. Not every review on there is trash, you just gotta find the good ones.

I'm talking about the user reviews. Someone gives a 1 egg because it was DOA. This was no fault of Newegg. They don't test everything before they send it to you. Straight from the manufacturer to you.

That is the difference. Some noob will say, "Oh! This no-name PSU has excellent reviews! And the Corsair has a few bad reviews." But you or I, would go by more than Newegg's reviews. Professional reviews, stuff that other people have bought that know works. Like I say, "It is best to look at every angle". I read several reviews from different sites before I decide to buy it. Not for cheap stuff, but $50+

you should go with the 960T
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HD96ZTWFGRBOX
$15 off with promo code HARDOCPX1X4A, ends 1/10

also unlocked, should be easy to overclock to 3.7 ghz
slightly better integrated memory controller.
cheaper.

But why would I go with a 3.0 that could be OC'd to about 3.7 when I can get a 3.7 that could be OC'd to 4.5+? would a slightly better memory controller outweigh that big of a difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom