Ive got 1200 bucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

heister

In Runtime
Im looking for a good gaming computer, and a kick ass multitasker.

I don't need monitors, a tower, or Windows.

Let me know what you guys think. Ive been out of the game for well over a year now and I went to newegg and was just lost haha.

I will be purchasing in late Febuary. So just need a loose guideline, unless you guys know of any killer deals going on.

Thanks,

heister

For $1200 bucks you could build a really nice gaming PC. I'd personally put most of the money into the videocard. Either the Nvidia 580 or AMD HD 6970
If you go AMD right now, Phenom X4's or X6's. I'm not sure about the new FX processors. If you go INTEL i5 or i7. I was told to wait until april when Ivy bridge comes out, which I think I'm going to do. Def. put buy a good quality motherboard. 8-16gig of RAM based on your mobo. SSD's seem to be a buzz word in gaming pc's these days. If you are overclocking, consider a high quality air or water cooling.

Thanks, so you think its smarter to wait untill april? Im not in any hurry to buy.

Thanks, so you think its smarter to wait untill april? Im not in any hurry to buy.
If you're not in a hurry its almost always a good idea to wait.
As new stuff launches you'll have more options, and hopefully lower prices on "older" tech.
Also, with any luck HDD prices will slowly be coming down as the months progress.

Im looking at the 2011 chipset. Know where you can find any good comob deals on that? Also if I want to do a moderate OC what mobo would you guys recomend?

If you live near a microcenter you can pick up an unlocked i5 2500K for $179, it is a gaming beast

If you live near a microcenter you can pick up an unlocked i5 2500K for $179, it is a gaming beast

Thanks for the heads up, I have been looking at the 2011 chipset hardware and will revise my budget upwards to 1400. The games I play are not extreme graphics intense. However the quad channel ram is more of a necssity then a 3 gb video card. I have certian programs that I will need to run directly on the ram for performance reasons. As per a previous poster I will be waiting untill April to make my purchase unless I find a great deal certian hardware.

Is the benefit of 16 gigs of ddr2400 drasticly better then 32 gigs of ddr1600?

@ heister, please don't double post, if you have something else to add to the conversation and no one has posted a reply since your last post (within a 24 hr. period), please use the edit button (looks like a pencil) to add it to your previous post.

The socket 2011 cpu requires DDR3 not DDR2 or regular DDR. Assuming you mean DDR3 then I going to say you won't see a real-world benefit with either configuration. I would go with 16GB (4x4GB) of DDR3 1600MHz, you can always buy a second kit later if you really need it. My Office PC has 12GB in it and I've never had any problems and I do a lot of multi-tasking with AutoCad, my architectural package, illustrator, photoshop, ms office, the internet and a bunch of other random tasks every day.

I had 16GB in my gaming/benchmarking pc, the one I'm using right now, but 8GB is really more than enough and I do a lot work and multi-tasking on it also. I think you'll benefit more with a 16GB kit of DDR3 1600MHz with slightly faster timings more than your choices, especially if you plan on overclocking your cpu. I would go with this if I was buying for myself right now.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR Vengeance LP 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model CML16GX3M4X1600C8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom