Used PC purchase help and will Mobo /GPU work together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

acerinpa

Fully Optimized
Have opportunity to purchase a used PC for $400, It has a MOBO that has limited slots for GPU. want to make sure I can fit a good GPU in it. It will make my life alot easier as my old AMD dual core is dying and I have 3 kids wanting access to a PC - but I only have 2 PC's functioning well.

CPU= 2500K with a Zalman 92mm Hydraulic cooler
MOBO= MSI P67A-C43
RAM= Corsair XMS3 ( 1333mhz) 4 x 2GB = 8 GB total
Case= Theramaltake V3 Black w/ Coolermaster 120mm fan
2 hard drives = 1) WD blue 1TB 2)Seagate 1TB (5400 rpm)
DVD drive= Sony optiarc
PSU= Ultra LSP550 = 550 watt

Sorry no links- working on it..

Thinking about adding a 560ti to make this bad boy a good gamer as it has no current GPU in it at all. Need to know that it will fit and work properly. Also , while I think that is a great deal, opinions are welcomed.

The motherboard has one PCI-E x16 slot, which is what all current GPUs require. So you're fine on the motherboard front.
Your power supply also needs two PCI-E 6-pins to power a GTX560 Ti, which the Ultra LSP550 does have.

So, you're fine to buy and run a GTX560 Ti.

Cool- cant seem to get all this down yet regarding the MOBO/PCI stuff - read that this MOBO is limited - so wanted to make sure about it- I don't think you can SLI/Crossfire on this MOBO though- but don't plan on doing that anyhow. . Put my last PC together- but this is a deal I cant pass up.

Yeah- Us old guys learn slow- Now to order 2 GPU's - one for each of the 2500K builds. Ouch- this is going to hurt the pocketbook.

don't overclock the system with a gtx 560 ti unless you upgrade the power supply first.
it has 30A on the 12V rail.
30 * 12 = 360 watts max.

Don't overclock the 560ti or don't overclock the 2500K or don't overclock either?

Neither. The power supply isn't a very good model and so can only just handle that configuration. Overclocking drives up the power consumption greatly which the PSU can't handle.

Ya- that was the weak point of the build - no doubt. How about my other build I used this PSU:
Newegg.com - OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandybridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom
= Ocz modsteam 600watt. Can I overclock that setup? How about this GPU for both builds?

CompUSA.com | 01G-P3-1563-AR Bundle | EVGA GTX 560 Ti and Free Batman Arkham City Bundle

GPU looks good, but you are in Pittsburgh, so why not just order from Newegg? I live there too, and everything I order gets to me really fast with standard shipping. Just saying. :wink_tongue: And I'm not too sure about OC'ing with that PSU either, it only gives you 50w more headroom. But you could probably OC the CPU a tad with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom