Upgrading the PSU and graphics card for my Gateway DX4300

Status
Not open for further replies.

lunatic7867

Beta member
This is the first time I am doing anything of this sort so I would really appreciate some help. I am considering what to buy and whether what I pick will be compatible and will run well.

Some of the major specs of my PC are...
  • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
  • AMD Phenomâ„¢ X4 quad-core processor
  • 8 GB of DDR2-900 MHz SDRAM (dual-channel support on four DIMMs)
  • 1 TB Serial ATA hard disk (harddrive)
  • ATI Radeon HD 4650
  • 300 Watt power supply
I want to upgrade my GPU so I can play some of the higher end games coming out so I was thinking about getting a PowerColor AX6770 1GBD5-H Radeon HD 6770 Video Card.
Its $100 at PowerColor AX6770 1GBD5-H Radeon HD 6770 Video Card - 1GB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.1 (x16), DVI, HDMI, VGA, DirectX 11, Single-Slot, CrossFireX Ready at TigerDirect.com
Will it be enough to play games like BF3 or MW3?

I know that the 300 Watt power supply will not give enough juice for the new GPU so I was considering buying a
Apevia Java 500-Watt Power Supply - SATA-Ready, 120mm Fan (Black)
Its $40 at Apevia Java 500-Watt Power Supply - SATA-Ready, 120mm Fan (Black) at TigerDirect.com
Will the GPU and the PSU be compatible with my computer?..and if so how difficult will it be to loosen all the bolts and remove the old and install the new items?

Thanks in advance.

This is the first time I am doing anything of this sort so I would really appreciate some help. I am considering what to buy and whether what I pick will be compatible and will run well.

Some of the major specs of my PC are...
  • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
  • AMD Phenomâ„¢ X4 quad-core processor
  • 8 GB of DDR2-900 MHz SDRAM (dual-channel support on four DIMMs)
  • 1 TB Serial ATA hard disk (harddrive)
  • ATI Radeon HD 4650
  • 300 Watt power supply
I want to upgrade my GPU so I can play some of the higher end games coming out so I was thinking about getting a PowerColor AX6770 1GBD5-H Radeon HD 6770 Video Card.
Its $100 at PowerColor AX6770 1GBD5-H Radeon HD 6770 Video Card - 1GB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.1 (x16), DVI, HDMI, VGA, DirectX 11, Single-Slot, CrossFireX Ready at TigerDirect.com
Will it be enough to play games like BF3 or MW3?

Thanks in advance.
yes
I know that the 300 Watt power supply will not give enough juice for the new GPU so I was considering buying a Apevia Java 500-Watt Power Supply - SATA-Ready, 120mm Fan (Black)
Its $40 at Apevia Java 500-Watt Power Supply - SATA-Ready, 120mm Fan (Black) at TigerDirect.com
Will the GPU and the PSU be compatible with my computer?..
no
and if so how difficult will it be to loosen all the bolts and remove the old and install the new items?
power supply wires routing will be a pain, just take your time.

Thanks in advance.
no problem

Are you saying that the 500 watt power supply will not be enough or that the new PSU will not be compatible with my computer? If its not compatible can you tell me why and what I can do about it?

That was fuuny, Fat.Clown. :lol:

I should show that to my friend who buys crappy PSU's. Though I've told him several times...

I had an apevia turbolink 500w and i just installed a 700w ocz modxstream and it runs so much better and now i can overclock my gpu and cpu with our worrying the psu will go oout

Thanks for warning me about apevia, I bough the Rosewill green series one instead. I finally bought the PSU and the GPU (I spent an hour contemplating whether to get the extended warranty; I didn't) and I will undoubtedly be back in a few days when I mess up the installation. Thanks for all the help everyone and especially Fat Clown for advising against Apevia and guiding me to get a better one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom