Resurecting an old tower

Status
Not open for further replies.

pro2a

In Runtime
This information was taken off the processor I have from an older tower. It's a "Pentium 4 2.4Ghz / 512 / 533 / 1.525 Volt" That is all the info I have on the CPU. Since I know squat about Intel processors (I'm an AMD guy). What is the fastest possible processor I can get with this chipset?

I want something dual-core if at all possible with this chipset, if not the best single core will do. I'm not looking for Speedy Gonzales, just something that works nicely . The MoBo is fine, I just want to resurrect a relic which still works.

I haven't the foggiest about Intel processors. It also has a 1GB of RIMM RAM (4 sticks of 256MB). I plan on updating my PSU as well, and maybe my video card to a circa 2005 of some sort. Lastly would Windows Vista or 7 work with that? Or would I be stuck with XP?

Any help on the best possible processor I can get with this chipset would be appreciated. Thanks!

That site gives me torrent alarms when I download it from there. It seems no one knows. IMO, I wouldn't bother upgrading it.

The CPU or just in general? There has to to be other processors out there somewhere, I'm just unfamiliar with the Intel chip sets. That's all. I just want to know what chip set I need based on the info I gave.

Here is the empty socket. Maybe some Intel junkies could pin point it.

View attachment 5056

Attachments

• IMAG0086.jpg
    IMAG0086.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 18
I do not know what CPU's can be used on that. I need the board's manual to find one that works with it. Is this an old gateway machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom