USB Ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manishman

Beta member
hey, i have a hp desktop pc...and at the front of the cpu there is three usb ports but only one seem to be working, the other two was covered up by a hard plastic so i had to cut thru the plastic to get to it, the thing is, is there anyway i can get these to work? cause i am in need of it...and i have already run driver updates....

details:i opened the tower, by the way im using hp pavilion a300n and i recently replaced my motherboard after the capacitors went bad with an ASROCK G31M-S motherboard.

the motherboard has 2 sets of usb pins USB4_5 and USB6_7. on usb6_7 my built in memory card reader is connected along with both sets of cable for the usb ports.

USB4_5 is vacant.

i disconnected the usb cable from the same line with the memory card reader and noticed that the usb cable has 8 pin holes and the connector that connected it had only 5 (4 at the bottom and 1 at the top) also on the motherboard USB4_5 has 9 pins.

what should i do??

Do you mind showing a few pictures so we can get a clearer picture of what you're talking about?

I looked up that motherboard and I see that both USB4_5 AND USB6_7 are 9-pins.

When you say "built in memory card reader is connected along with both sets of cable for the usb ports", are they all in one cable that connects to USB6_7?

im sorry but i cant get to post pictures as of right now...but yea all connected to give one output plug.
i just looked at my old motherboard and noticed that it only had one set of usb pins, probably thats why they were all connected that way, i dont knw. but the new motherboard has 2 set of usb pins..

Try connecting the cable to the 4_5 instead of 6_7. 6_7 might be the one having a problem.

Manishman said:
i disconnected the usb cable from the same line with the memory card reader and noticed that the usb cable has 8 pin holes and the connector that connected it had only 5 (4 at the bottom and 1 at the top)

So all of the cables coming from the media card reader have a 5-pin at the end? Maybe that's why not all USB ports are working because you should have 9 pins connecting to all 9 pins on the 6_7.

Unless you are rough placing them on the pins and try and force them you will be fine, I am guessing though that the case is a generic unit designed for more than one model of HP desktop and they would most likely not have included the board headers in the case for it.

if i try it on usb4_5 would it damage my mother board? or what are the chances?
I don't see why it would damage the motherboard. Both 4_5 and 6_7 have the same pin configuration.

what is correct way to place the plug on the pins? my wire has red,white,green,black
In most cases the connector should only fit in one way. If you feel like your forcing your way to plug something in, like what Saxon was mentioning, then you're doing it wrong. Just match the connector to the pins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom