Is my HX850W enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneEyedEd

Baseband Member
Hey quick question. (I've read done some research and used some Watt calculators and I'm still unsure).

I'm wondering if 850W is enough to run a future SLI setup and also allow me to overclock (a bit). My current system specs are...

Corsair HX850W
ASUS Sabertooth P67
MSI GTX570
i5-2500k
Crusial M4 128gb SSD
2TB WD 7200RPM 64MB
Corsair 8gb Vengence RAM 1600
ASUS PCE-N15 wifi card.
H80 CPU cooler
DVDRW optical drive
and 5 or so Case fans

I'd like to throw in another GTX570 at some point down the line. The Nivida website says a GTX 570 max power is 219W GeForce GTX 570 - Specifications - GeForce

Now people online say I should leave about 300W for the CPU and system itself, while the rest would be used up by the GPU's; is that correct?

I'm just trying to figure out if Id be able to run an SLI setup along with OCing the CPU (maybe the GPU's a bit but I hear that eats up a lot of power). A few opinions should be great, thanks!

+1 on 850 being enough.

The guru3d review Paton linked is to a build that uses quite a bit more power. With a 2500K build it should be more than enough for future SLi.

Yeah thanks, I gave the article a read. Just wanted some more opinions :) sounds good. The thing I'm worried about is if i decide to do any OCing after I go SLI I dont want to strain the PSU to much. I wish there was a program or somthing that I could test to see how much wattage was being used by my system, that way I could OC and have an idea what my limitations are without having my computer blow up lol. Does CPU OC'ing eat up an extensive amount of power? People are saying GPU's will so I think thats out of the question unless I wanna buy a 1-1.2k PSU down the road.

P.s. How on earth do you make a signature on these forums so I dont have to always re-write my system specs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom