Laptop screen flickers

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazeD

Fully Optimized
So this has been happening for quite a long time now. I missed my chance to send it in for warranty, so now I need to try to fix it myself.

I have an Asus K61IC laptop. The screen flickers pretty violently most of the time. Sometimes it is perfectly fine, other times it is so bad you can't even use it. When it does it the worst sometimes the screen goes black for a second or two, but it is mostly just flickering really fast.

It seems to be worse if it is running off the battery, though it can get pretty bad while plugged in as well.

Temperatures or load doesn't seem to be a factor. Nor do drivers or software because it flickers while in Linux Live CD's or even while the BIOS is loading sometimes.

Also, while using external video (HDMI or VGA), the external monitor is absolutely fine with no flickers at all.

I've never really dealt with troubleshooting laptop hardware, so I'm at a loss here. I'm thinking it is probably the backlight or something.

Any ideas to pin point this?

WHen the screen goes dark and/or flickers, can you still see the screen image (faintly)? If you can...then it's the backlight. If the screen goes completely dead, then its either the inverter or screen itself going out. Either way... you can usually pick up a new screen + inverter for ~$100 or so off of ebay.

Ok, trwo things it could be.

1) There could be a loose power cord. Try opening up the case, to the power pcb board. (Above keyboard) Make sure connections are snug.

2) Your backlight is cutting out. When it goes completely black, shine a flashlight at a 45* angle. Can you see the desktop?

Edit: ninja'd

I always buy my screens from here: http://www.laptopscreen.com/
(well, the 2 times I had to do it. Very good service.)

Alright I just tore it apart and made sure the screen connection was tight. It didn't feel loose to start with but I unplugged it, blew some air in it and stuck it back in.

Put it back together and SO FAR no flickering, but my battery is dead so I can't run it without AC (which is when it does it the most).

Is there anyway to see if the backlight is dying besides the flashlight trick? 99% of the time it is just really fast flickering, so I can't really tell if I can see the desktop through the blackness or not.

So what does that include... just the screen? Screen + inverter? Backlight?

Sounds good.

So considering the fact that external video works, there's a reasonably high chance that the problem is definitely screen related? I just don't want to spend $100+ and have it not be the problem.

Well, if an external screen works fine, it's not your graphic card. I would see if this happens again. If it is all fine and dandy, I wouldn't worry about it.

Jigling a cord can do wonders, even though it is tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom