New Build, Trying SSD/HDD Combo, Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayMiller8080

In Runtime
My brother and I just put together a new build today for him, with the purpose of running a SSD/HDD combo where the OS would run off the SSD and all other programs, games, etc. would be stored on the HDD. We're having some issues getting this set up to work, so first things first, here's the whole build:

MoBo: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
CPU: i5-2500k
RAM: Corsair 8g Vengeance
HDD: WD 1TB Caviar Black
SDD: Corsair Force Series 120GB
GPU: EVGA GTX560
PSU: Corsair TX750
Heatsink: Thermaltake Frio

Okay, so first we tried to installing the OS to the SSD, hoping that with the HDD present, it would be recognized and we could simply just choose to install everything besides the OS there. We updated all drivers for the MoBo through the disk and the software it provides. The first issue is that, the HDD seems to be recognized and "works properly" when viewed under the devices tab, however, the HDD is not listed under "My Computer" where we hoped we could just access both the SSD and HDD. We were trying to avoid having to do a RAID setup, and after numerous attempts to get the HDD accessible we've just run into multiple issues, including at one point receiving a "Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disc and Press Enter", which didnt occur until we tried to set up RAID. In BIOS, at this point, it listed both the SSD and HDD as "member drives".

I apologize for the vague nature of the issues, however, we're willing to start completely fresh if someone is able to explain how we might be able to achieve a set up where the OS runs off the SDD and everything else is able to be installed and accessed from the HDD. It seems to me like this would not be difficult to achieve. We would like the have the SDD and HDD both present in the "My Computer" page, as we don't view having to pick which drive to install things on as an inconvenience.

So, questions:
1.) If necessary, how can, or should we, restore the BIOS, SDD, and HDD back to their initial states before we started messing with any settings, including removing the OS and such.

2.) From this point, what would be the easiest way to have the OS run off the SDD, and then use the HDD as you would any other way if the SDD was not present?

and issues:

1.) The HDD is recognized as a properly working device under the "Devices" page, yet doesn't seem to be accessible from "My Computer" which with my limited knowledge means I can't actually choose it as an installation location for an application.

2.) We don't want to run it in RAID if possible, unless based on what we want out of this, that is the way to go. When we tried to set up RAID and use the "Intel Smart Response Technology" program we just complicated our issues, especially with the "Disc Boot Failure.." message. This seemed avoidable by booting from the OS disc, but then it would automatically prompt us for a re-installation, and wouldn't actually get to Windows, which was already installed.

This is only my second build, and on my first I ran everything off one hard drive, so this is a bit new to me. I tried to include all relevant information here, but I know I am in a bit over my head, so if there are any crucial details I've left out (which seems likely since I did a pretty bad job of explaining the actual issues we had), let me know and I'll answer to the best of my knowledge.

Ultimately, I wouldn't mind just starting fresh as if it was the first POST and BIOS setup, and then setting up the OS install with the SSD/HDD combo like we'd like it to work (assuming that's even possible). In the end, having the OS run off the SSD and installing everything else on the HDD, where both are accessible from "My Computer", would be ideal. Also, I don't know if this is relevant, but the "Intel Smart Response Technology" is available to us. We're a bit clueless as to what order to install the OS, update drivers (from disc vs website too), and configure the BIOS settings. As long as you can be clear as to what order this should be done in, and what settings in the BIOS need tweaking, I should have no problem getting to it all. Changing the boot priority and such seems to be our best means of getting around disk boot failure messages, but even that has problems.

Thank you so much for any help you can offer, and let me know if you need any other information!

1.) If necessary, how can, or should we, restore the BIOS, SDD, and HDD back to their initial states before we started messing with any settings, including removing the OS and such.

BIOS - there should be a restore to default option
HDD / SSD - just format

1.) The HDD is recognized as a properly working device under the "Devices" page, yet doesn't seem to be accessible from "My Computer" which with my limited knowledge means I can't actually choose it as an installation location for an application.

did you format the drive?
right click on computer in the programs menu
manage
storage
disk management
format the hard drive and assign drive letter.

2.) We don't want to run it in RAID if possible, unless based on what we want out of this, that is the way to go. When we tried to set up RAID and use the "Intel Smart Response Technology" program we just complicated our issues, especially with the "Disc Boot Failure.." message. This seemed avoidable by booting from the OS disc, but then it would automatically prompt us for a re-installation, and wouldn't actually get to Windows, which was already installed.

if you wanted to set up SRT you needed to do so before installing your OS.

2.) From this point, what would be the easiest way to have the OS run off the SDD, and then use the HDD as you would any other way if the SDD was not present?

I don't know how much settings you messed with, so can't really say for sure.
but if you decided to start off fresh, make sure to set your sata controllers to AHCI mode.

Thank you so much!!

When he wakes up we'll give this all a try, and I'll let you know how it turns out.

Worked wonderfully! Thank you again!

EDIT:

Question! How can we make the HDD the primary storage device so when we download or install things it defaults to the HDD rather than the SSD? The SSD is the "C" and the HDD is "E".

downloads - that'd be dependent of the software you are using.
installs - no idea, i think windows always defaults to C

@ JayMiller8080, please don't double post, if you have something else to add to the conversation and no one has posted a reply since your last post (within a 24 hr. period), please use the edit button (looks like a pencil) to add it to your previous post.

All programs default to C:\Program Files
Sorry, there is no way around it that I know.

I have all my downloads go to E:\Downloads\ in firefox settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom