Coolermaster Black Storm Sniper vs. Antec Red Lanboy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roark,

That will be one nice rig! Could you help me understand Generation 3 motherboard? Are you referring to the Z series?

And have you selected a case yet/?

I hear you on using the Lanboy for the Intel. I was just reconsidering yesterday. This may seem strange to you but to be honest with you, some computer case filters can be quite challenging to clean! Especially if they are the cheap Styrofoam type [I know because I had two M9's years ago when they were the hot cases]. Some of these filters needed to be removed and hand washed for every cleaning!

We live on a ranch here with lots of dust...esp. in the summer months. Keeping the windows open allows tons of dust in. Each of our computers requires cleaning every 4 weeks during the summer months, and at least every 8 weeks during the non-dusty months. So here is what I do: I simply unplug all the wires, take it outside to my work bench, turn on my compressor, and blow the dust out of the case, the PSU, the GPU, and out of every crack and crevice. There are no flimsy filters...in fact, one of the complaints about the HAF 932 is that it has no air filters that come stock with it. At first I really worried about that but now I am actually kind of happy about that. I simply blow out all the dust in a 30-60 second process and done deal.

In the 1990's, I was working at a school and my job was to service over 100 computers for a one year period. I did the same thing then, and it worked just fine. The only thing I had to be careful about was that there was no condensation in the compressor. That way no moisture in the air. The computer guy before me never cleaned out any of the computers...ever. There was so much dust in those computers that you could not even see the cooling fins on the CPU coolers. I know this causes less effective cooling and subsequent loss of longevity of the components. I have read repeatedly about people saying you should vacuum the dust out, but for me, vacuuming would only remove about 50% of the dust.

So, I do not think using the Lanboy in this dusty environment will cause any problems. I have never had a dust related breakdown on a computer ever. I sincerely believe people stress out much more about dust than they should, and blowing out computers at a fairly regular interval is really all that is required. I realize some people are total clean freaks...and some work areas require total dust free environments. I've been there and done that! I remember working in Silicon Valley in the 1980's and helping to set up "clean rooms" in various companies. Dude, it was insane! Everything had to be perfectly sealed. Every person had to wear the smocks, the slippers, the hair nets, etc. The acoustical ceiling tiles all had to have a seal on every tile, and even the doors were totally sealed [these were the wonderful R&D rooms for companies like Intel, Apple, AMD, etc.] I felt like a darn surgeon in those environments! I like the ranch living much better.

Anyway, seem to have deviated quite strongly from talking about Lanboys or Sniper cases. I hope I do not get a citation!

Soar

Gen3 is primarily Z68, the only P67 I can think of with it is a model of the ASRock Extreme4.
Pretty much the only difference I see to G3 is the PCIe 3.0 slots, which like I said a few posts back are pretty pointless for the near future.
However, since I typically keep my PCs for 3+ years at minimum, having that kind of long-term benefit would be a real boon for me.

Two cases have really caught my eye, the Corsair 400R and 600T (which I bet you hate since it looks just like your Storm Sniper :wink:)

Considering how often you clean out your cases, and the fact that you make sure to do it properly, then the LanBoy shouldn't be a problem at all.
Also seems like the downside I see, that it is essentially just a mesh cage, is going to be a real benefit to you when you go to clean it.
I think you are right to use a compressor instead of a vacuum, better to blow the dust out than chance sucking out a jumper or something.

I am only drawing on my personal experience, which is having to dust my case in a rather small apartment with a can of compressed air.
Let me just say, this is one of the worst ways to clear dust. All the dust that was in the case ended up in the air around me, my sinuses were not happy.

As long as we mention the cases at least once per page we'll probably fly under the moderators' radar :thumbsup:

Sean, yes, we have been building a very, very big wall of words! Anyway, Happy New Year to you Sean and to you too Roark!

Roark, that Corsair Obsidian 400R case looks sweet and that case has stellar reviews at the Egg. And the Corsair 600T looks even better [much better than my ugly Sniper], but I see no option for the case side fan that helps to cool the GPU card...does Corsair give the option of ordering it with the modified side with a fan? And is there are a reason why you would not want a cooling fan blowing air in from the side?

I almost began the new build last night with the Lanboy, but let myself get distracted by a movie...hopefully I begin this real soon...I still have 9 more days of vacation! I was thinking of taking pics of the build process and posting here....

I have been looking at various builds using the Lanboy, and I have some questions...

Why would a person choose to place the PSU on top rather than the bottom?

I clipped a pic from Overclocker's Club showing the PSU up top on the blue version. I purchased the red version.

Soar

Attachments

• lanboy 1.JPG
    lanboy 1.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 41
  • lanboy 2.JPG
    lanboy 2.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 40
And a Happy New Year to you too Soar!

I guess I was actually looking at the 600TM, I think the M stands for mesh. But you can get both panels with the special edition white version.
You can actually see it quite nicely in Whirlwind's upgrade thread (here), last pic is the mesh side panel.

There are three reasons I could think of to put the PSU at the top:
1) The intake fan from the PSU will help draw hot air out of the case and exhaust out the back.
2) If the PSU gets hot the hot air rises out of the case instead of into the case.
3) Depending on where you place the case the PSU intake fan could draw debris through the bottom and into the unit.

However, I still prefer bottom placement PSUs:
1) Most cases have top exhaust fans, so the PSU's help isn't required.
2) A valid concern, which can be mitigated with proper fan placement of quality fans for optimal air-flow.
2a) If the PSU is drawing cool air from below the case it will stay cooler than drawing hot air from inside the case.
3) A good case will have a dust filter on the bottom to avoid sucking up debris, and you can always place it on a piece of cardboard/wood if there is major concern.
4) A good PSU is typically quite heavy (the OCZ ZX 1000 is ~10lbs.), I'd rather have a bottom-heavy than top-heavy case for stability.

I am a bit biased though, there may certainly be more reasons to place the PSU at the top.

Roark,

That is an awesome computer case. Those pics are awesome too and now I see the side panel fans. Very, very nice set up and it really does look quite different than my Sniper.

I will take your good advice and look carefully at the bottom of the Lanboy to be absolutely certain the wire mesh is thin enough to prevent unwanted and especially deadly metal items from being sucked up into my nice new shiny PSU! One very nice aspect of the Sniper is that it has very fine metal filters everywhere, including the spot where the PSU sucks in the fresh air.

Finally, I have decided to definitely install the PSU on the bottom because I would like to keep the top of the case clear and ready should I ever find a more reliable water cooling system.

Happy New Year to you Roark and everyone else here at Computer Forums! I am off to the New Year Eve's party! Happy early 2012!

Soar

Roark,

Oh boy! Or maybe I should say Oh Lanboy...I unpacked the Lanboy case today and it was kind of disappointing. So disappointing that I decided to not use it!

Here were the deciding factors:

This Antec Lanboy Air case is incredibly flimsy [yet I read numerous reviews ranting about how strong and solid this case was. Obviously these reviewers have never seen or worked with a Sniper, HAF 932, or HAF X].
This Antec Lanboy Air case has only 3 External 5.25" Drive Bays unless I remove one of the two front case fans [obviously my fault for not reading the specs more carefully]
This Antec Lanboy Air case is significantly smaller than the Sniper case I am presently using [so much so, I just crossed it off my list].
This Antec Lanboy Air case has way too much plastic for my requirement for safety [I prefer strong steel just in case someone accidentally kicks it or bumps into it].
This Antec Lanboy Air case fans are all controlled by tiny little switches some of which are located inside the case.
This Antec Lanboy Air case would be a downgrade rather than an upgrade for me considering my needs and requirements.

So all in all, from my perspective, it has lots of eye candy, lots of modular possibilities, and lots of unique features, but is missing some of the basic functionality that I require to feel comfortable with it.

Darn! I looked at this case repeatedly at Fry's but I think my eyes were only on the candy! I suppose looks can be deceptive.

Oh well, lesson learned.

Thanks Roark for your many insights and good advice. This was a good learning experience and I choose to be positive and much wiser before selecting an "upgrade" for my next computer case.

Soar

On the plus side, you got it for a good price!

Other than the size, I'm not really surprised with what you've discovered about the case.
With a name like "LanBoy" I'd expect it to be light for mobility, which means a lot of lighter materials, like plastic.
And, as far as I know, Antec has started adding their TriCool fans as stock in their cases, the ones with a 3 speed switch.

Antec is know for making quality components, so I would have expected a bit more "oomph" to it.
Sorry that it turned out to be a bit of a disappointment.

Yes, I am choosing to dwell on all the positive things about this adventure...but I certainly will be much more careful in the future before I build Lanboy castles in the air!

I have no excuse whatsoever for not recognizing it would not work for my needs [Fry's Electronics had a model on display for the last several months and I kept looking at it...I think the candy caught my eye much more than the facts and reality].

Anyway, lesson learned, and yes, I will sell it and make some money so I did not lose anything except a lot of time and pride!

One thing that woke me up was placing both cases side by side. That destroyed all deception immediately!

Ok Roark, my only regret now is the title of this post....it should have read: Coolermaster Sniper Destroys Antec Lanboy in the following categories:

Strength
Size
Fans
Masculine appearance

Auuuggghhhh!

Maybe I need to change my screen name from Soar to Gullible Gus!

Have a great week Roark!

Soar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom