Computer won't turn on - grounding problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reissigree

Beta member
So I'm building a computer right now. I have the Motherboard laying on a cardboard box with power connected ( green light is on ) and the power switch. It is laying so because I wanted to eliminate the possibility that it was touching the case somewhere. When I turn it on, the processor fan spins for 1 second, then cuts off. It won't spin again until I unplug the power supply and replug. What do you guys think?

Have you stripped it down to the basic components? 1 stick of RAM, CPU (and HS/F obviously), PSU, and onboard video? If you can't do onboard video, then you'll have to use a separate GPU (I'm assuming you're using one already). Can you try a different GPU or PSU as well? Have you tried RAM in different slots? Tried resetting your BIOS?

I know the GPU is good. I thought the PSU was good, I'll try a different one. I tried the RAM thing. How do I reset the BIOS? And would that typically cause the PC to turn on for one second?

To reset your BIOS: unplug your PC from the wall, and press the power button a few times to drain any excess power. Remove the silver coin-shaped battery for about 30 seconds. Reinstall the battery, plug back in, and try to start back up.

If the PSU isn't giving it enough juice, then it's possible for it to turn on for a second then just shut off. You don't have any PCI cards, HDD's, or disc drives plugged in, do you? If you do, unplug them to eliminate those variables.

Nope, nothing else plugged in. And yes, I reset the BIOS. I don't know if I have another PSU or not. Let me check and let you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom