New to pc building

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ xetter, please don't double post, if you have something else to add to the conversation and no one has posted a reply since your last post (within a 24 hr. period), please use the edit button (looks like a pencil) to add it to your previous post.

It's not worth the price to upgrade your CPU. The price difference is slight. You'd be better off getting a new system.

Xeon are used for servers. Nothing you need to worry about.

The power that the CPU uses is just around 100W. As long as you have a 500W or larger PSU, you are fine. Of course, overclocking uses more power.

i3 is meant for the low end, slight gaming, usually just surfing the net, watch youtube, movies.
i5 is mid end. Gaming the latest games.
i7 is typically for bragging rights. Nothing a i5 can't handle.

The different types just mean different clock times, cache, and other things. As well as overclockability.

Sorry for double posting, i never knew i could edit posts!

is there a list that shows all the different cpu`s. because you have also have things like quad cores and mobile versions ( what???) can`t they be named cpu1 and cpu2!?!

what's the difference between earlier cpu`s, core duo and the i series?--- because they all vary in massive price differences ( what does Intel and AMD improve?)

Xetter

what does all the stuff on cores mean i.e dual or quad core?

plus what is the difference in the range of motherboards ( what splits the $800 from the $80?)

Xetter

Cores, Duo, 2 processors in one scenario. Quad, 4. (some are just 2 cores in hyperthreading). Instead of one core running 100 processes, it is 2 cores, or each core running 50.

Don't make the mistake that others do. If a quad core runs at 2Ghz, it is NOT 8Ghz. You don't add the cores.

in the price range of motherboards, it depends on the chipset and features. USB3, Wireless, # of SATA ports, size of board (ATX, MATX), number of PCI/PCI-E/PCI x1 ports, the grade of integrated sound, if it has video onboard, the gfx model, etc. Plus the manufacturer. Some cheaper boards are lower grade in features than the big boys.

Just a quick question, can any CPU work on any make of board along as the Memory standard is the same?

As long as the socket is the same, yeah. an 1155 socket will not take a 775 CPU. In the same way that you can't mix AMD CPU with Intel motherboard, and vice versa.

If some boards were made before the release of a new CPU, you most likely will need to update your BIOS.

Sorry for late reply, been on a new years holiday, but is it ok to mix an intel cpu with any other motherboard apart from an AMD? (again vice versa)

Xetter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom