using gps as receiver for laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
just about all gps units do. it would typically be accessed by USB settings, data management, connectivity, or under system settings.

i just got it to work with the garmin nuvi and without having to buy anything, thanks for all your help at least the people that said it could be done not the idiots who said it could not

So, what was the solution? It might help someone else with the same question.

You originally gave a link to a Garmin Edge 500 but now you say you have a Nuvi?

ok, i never gave a link to any page, you are confusing another thread, never said i had a garmin edge on top of that, just admit you were wrong and in the future dont answer somebody's question with IT CAN'T BE DONE unless you have solid proof, its very irritating for someone looking for an answer and get pointed the wrong direction. as far as solution here is the link to get garmin working as a receiver
t923347 Member

@ FraggedLocust

Don't know if you still need help with your 255 but it I picked this up on another website and it worked perfectly with my 780 connected to my laptop:

"When you connect the Nuvi via USB normally, it is recognized by Windows as a storage device (like USB Drive). For the GPSGate recognize the Nuvi, you must connect it to the PC as a GPS and not as a PenDrive. The next steps explain how to proceed:

- Turn on the Nuvi without connecting the USB cable to the PC.
- Enter diagnostic mode by pressing the icon of the battery for about 10 seconds.
- As you enter the diagnostic screen, connect the USB cable and then exit the screen by pressing "Exit". Wait for the installation of the driver by Windows (the first time takes a while).

There, the Nuvi is connected to the GPS mode. Now let's create a virtual COM port that emulates a serial connection.

- Open GPSGate and follow the setup wizard as follows:

1344d1256852692-nuvi-laptop-gps-receiver-1-20091029.jpg

1345d1256852706-nuvi-laptop-gps-receiver-2-20091029.jpg

1346d1256852724-nuvi-laptop-gps-receiver-3-20091029.jpg

This is the GPSGate up and running:

1347d1256852742-nuvi-laptop-gps-receiver-4-20091029.jpg

The results in S&T look like this:

1348d1256852757-nuvi-laptop-gps-receiver-5-20091029.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

and i am using my own navigation software with the help of some of my other tech friends.

just about all gps units do. it would typically be accessed by USB settings, data management, connectivity, or under system settings.
are you talking about going into the gps settings or setting on pc? i posted my solution and where i found the answer but a moderator has to look at it first before it will post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom