ARGHH, can't decide... amd vs. pentium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get a 6600GT or you can do what I did. Buy an X600Pro and use a BIOS to flash it to an X600XT or make it run at the same speeds as an X600XT. If you need more then just Overclock. Currently, all Pentium 4s are 90nm and they run cool enough to be overclocked. I just don't know why everyone is *****in' about the Pentium 4s running hot and mine is OCed very high and it doesn't run hot on stock HS/F.

Make sure you get 2 x yyyMB sticks of DDR2 400/533 memory. They must be identical sticks to run Dual Channel. You should definately run Dual Channel since Pentium 4s need all the memory bandwith they can get. And Dual Channel provides them with twice the bandwith as running them in single channel.

i'm definetly getting dual-channel ram. it's just that 240pin ram is really expensive

i htought the x700 would be better than the 6600gt because it has double the vram. or does that not matter?

it can matter but a 9600xt with 256 megs of RAM cant touch a 6800 vanilla with 128 mb of RAM, or even if they did make one with less RAM... the point is all that ram gets you about nowhere if the core and RAM dont run fast enough... on toms hardware the 9800 pro(with 128 mb) and the 9800 pro(with 256 mb) normally run within 1-2 FPS of each other... and the Xx00 series from ATI is complete shit... 6600 GT is alot better, ive seen 3 different sources say so from diff. benchmarking programs.

is it possible to just have an external hd instead of an internal. it just seems more practical since i'd be able to move all of my data...

If you plan to have an OS on that hard drive, then no. I highly doubt the Windows setup will recognize an external HDD and allow you to install Windows onto it. You can have an internal HDD for the OS, and have an external for your data.

i would suggest a high RPM harddrive for your OS and majorly important files and a massive external for all your files... however if you have old harddrives laying about, then just buy an external case for one, it turns an internal into an external drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom