Building my first computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwi1299x2

Beta member
Ok so im building my first computer and trying to figure out what all i need and what is compatible with what. Could somebody please look over this list and determine if everything is compatible and if i am missing anything? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Motherboard: Asrock 970 Extreme3 AM3+
CPU: AMD Athlon II x2 Regor 3.2GHz
RAM: 2x 4gb DDR3
Hard Drive: Hitachi 1Tb
VGA: Radeon HD 5450 (when it says 64bit memory interface, does that mean i NEED to choose a 64bit OS?)
Disc Drive: Asus 24x DVD Burner
Power Supply: Diablotek PHD350
Case: Rosewill Challenger Black

Where are you getting all this from? What socket motherboard is that? What model number is that CPU ######? If you are using 8GB, you need a x64 edition of Ubuntu. What model PSU?

Where are you getting all this from? What socket motherboard is that? What model number is that CPU ######? If you are using 8GB, you need a x64 edition of Ubuntu. What model PSU?

motherboard: Newegg.com - ASRock 970 EXTREME3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard AM3+ socket

cpu: Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X2 260 Regor 3.2GHz Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor ADX260OCGMBOX
model number ADX260OCGMBOX

psu:
Newegg.com - Diablotek PHD Series PHD350 350W ATX12V V2.2 Power Supply

the socket is an AM3+, model number of cpu is ADX260OCGMBOX, psu would be a Diablotek PHD Series PHD350 350W ATX12V V2.2 Power Supply

Where are you buying these things from? I only ask because I shop at Newegg and one good thing about them is that you can check compatibility with things like RAM and MOBO and it is very clear about socket on MOBO and CPU.

With that said I would make sure that the minimum power req. for the video card is no more than 250W because you are going to need power for the DVD Rom and the CPU. I posted this in another thread as well, I usually buy a PSU with at least 100W more than the GPU needs unless I am using a powerful CPU(some use upwards of 150W at full speed). So make sure that you are buying a strong enough PSU for all that stuff.

I am purchasing everything off of Newegg and from what i found everything seemed to me like it would be compatible but im new to this stuff so i wasnt sure of myself. For the estimated power output i used Newegg's power supply calculator which recomended 269w so i was going to get a 350w psu

Ok, thats good then. I wasn't sure about where you were getting it from, and it's good that you used that power supply calculator. If you are unsure about the RAM there is a tool for that as well where you can put in what MOBO you have and it will give you a list of RAM that is compatible with it (unless you already used that in which case you should be good there as well). Also MindoverMaster is right about the OS, you will need a 64bit Linux for that 8GB of RAM. Make sure to post when you have that all built and let us know how its running! maybe even a pic :)

I would highly urge you not to get a Diablotek PSU, it is essentially like playing Russian roulette with your computer.
You might get lucky and nothing will go wrong, but there is also a chance it will blow up and take some other components with it.

yeah i was kinda skeptical about buying a diablotek with all the bad reviews it has on newegg. thanks for the info, ill get a different one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom