GPU upgrade, worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thresh25

Daemon Poster
I just got BF3 and I can run it on high during the campaign, but online I have to drop to medium or low. I have a 4850 512mb.

I only have about 100 bucks to upgrade, so I was wondering if these following cards would be worth it in terms of a performance upgrade. Will I be able to run the settings on medium/high without lag? I'm on a 22" 1080P monitor btw.

Here's the cards

Radeon HD 6670
Radeon 6750
Radeon 6770

What are you running right now?

The 6770 would give you the best bump.

What do you mean by what am I running? If by settings, then I can run it online at medium but moreso low settings without much lag. I want to run it at least on medium if not on high. I just don't know if what I'm willing to spend right now can do that, and if not then I don't want to waste my money.

Here are the cards I've found so far. I'm sort of confused though,

Newegg.com - HIS H675FS1G Radeon HD 6750 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
Newegg.com - HIS H675F1GD Radeon HD 6750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

It appears the specs on the cheaper one is better? Am I understanding this correctly?
And then these next two, the one has more stream processors but the other has higher clock speeds, so which is better?

Newegg.com - XFX HD-677X-ZNLC Radeon HD 6770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
Newegg.com - XFX HD-679X-ZRFC Radeon HD 6790 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

But most importantly, am I going to see a relative increase in performance? Is it worth my money? Or do I need to step up to a 6850 to see my desired performance boost?

I meant what card are you currently using.

The 6790 uses a 256-bit memory interface while the 6770 has a 128-bit one as well as slightly faster memory.

The 6850 also uses a 256-bit interface and will perform better than the 6790. It's up to you to decide if it is worth the extra $30.

Ah sorry, I am currently running a 4850. I pulled the trigger and purchased a 6850, hopefully I'll see a significant increase in performance.

And what is the rest of your new build? Is it what is in your sig?

I'm really happy the link you just posted is sold out.... because I would have been so ****ed that I didn't see that haha. I got an HIS 6850 for 153 dollars shipped no rebate. I seriously looked between newegg, amazon, and tigerdirect for 2.5 hrs and thought I found the best deal for my money so I would have been so mad if that wasn't sold out lol. I think I got the most bang for my buck besides the link that was just posted, but as for the rest of my build it is indeed what is in my signature.

Edit: One question, as I've never upgraded a card before, I've always just upgraded my entire rig at once, will I need to uninstall my old drivers before installing the 6890? I just recently d/led the newest drivers for my card, but I'm sure they aren't the same. Or can I just unplug this card, pop in the new one, and will it automatically delete the old drivers and install the newest ones/drivers provided on cd?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom