Am I missing something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

parijuf

Solid State Member
I recently bought some new bits to make a computer with but it won't switch on. Power is getting to the motherboard as the on/off, reset and clr CMOS buttons all light up.. Its just that nothing happens when I try to start it

The specs are:

PSU: XFX 1000W Black Edition Pro '80+ Platinum' Certified Modular Power Supply
MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7 AMD 990FX (Socket AM3+) DDR3 Motherboard
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 975 Black Edition "125W Edition" 3.60GHz (Socket AM3)
GC: Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 6850 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
CASE: NZXT Phantom Enthusiast Full Tower Case - Black
Optical: Samsung SH-B123L/BSBP 12x BluRay ROM / 16x DVD±RW Lightscribe SATA-II Optical Drive - Black
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (CML8GX3M2A1600C9)
HDD: 640GB SATA HDD

The things that I've checked myself are that the powersupply was plugged in and on, the fans are all connected, the F_PANEL connections are all in the right place, the HDD and optical drive are connected to the power supply and have SATA cables to the motherboard, the motherboard is on standoffs and there are no extra ones in the wrong place and that the CPU fan, fan 1 and fan 2 headers are all connected. Everything is literally only just out of the box and I used one of the wrist straps to prevent static discharge, does anybody have any ideas as to wha might be wrong? I think I set it up in the same way as the computer I'm using, it just won't switch on...

Any help would be appreciated

Happy holidays

EDIT:
Sorry, but nevermind. I tried to take the fan on the processor off to make sure the processor is the right way round and the processor was stuck to it so tightly that it came out with it. The pins got damaged and I'm not able to get another so just going to sell the components and give up :p.

Unless the pins are broken/sheared off they can be straightened. It takes patience and a steady hand. I have done it several times.

The CPU, motherboard and graphics card were all connected to the power supply. Tomorrow I will take some pictures of how it was set up and hopefully that will help a little.
The CPU has 1 side of it bent over, 2 in the middle almost touching the floor of it so to speak and 1 or 2 here and there that are bent slightly. None of them were sheared off, but if its still salvagable then that is very very good news! Thank you. Unfortunately I don't really know what I'm doing, I just make a calculated guess as to where each thing goes according to what I can see is there and under the assumption of everything is going to need power and a connection to the motherboard to control it.

I haven't quite gotten the processor's pins restraightened yet but I've been thinking about the problem and is it possible that it was the processor in the first place? The power supply and motherboard have been proven to work as the light came on on the motherboard when the power was plugged in and the case works as I have tried it in a friends computer by taking the sides off and just plugging my cases power switch into his F_PANEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom