Looking for a new build!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneEyedEd

Baseband Member
Hey everyone,

I've used this site before and I got some fantastic advice so here I am again!

I'm pretty out of touch with the current market since it's been around 6 years since I built a computer so I'm looking for a little help. My overall objective is to build a computer capable of tearing Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 a new one for around $1000. Give or take $200. (My brother will probably end up wanting to play other games as well). I want this computer to last me awhile so I'm willing to fork over a bit more for a solid mobo and CPU. I'll probably want the ability to throw in another graphics card at some point as well (just want to leave my options open!!).

Anyway first off, I have an Antec P180 case from my last build and I'm wonder if this is worth using? (Thing about that Antec is the power supply has to have long cords). If not I was looking at the Corsair 600T Graphite Series Case.

I also have an Antec 500W power supply but I'm thinking that won't cut it anymore?

Basically I'm looking for suggestions since I have no idea where to start at the moment… I've been looking on newegg.ca (I'm Canadian) and I've got my eye on the CPU i7 2600K and I've been checking out combo deals but I've never fully understood what I need out of a mobo other than the right socket type. I'm just looking for the best bang for my buck and was hoping you could point my in the right direction :). Thanks in advance!

P.S. I'm a bit of a home producing music hobiest and use protools so I don't know if that'll change any of the major components but I know I'm going to need 2 hard drives since I need to copy and save music files on a different drive than protools is installed on. (partitioning works I've heard but isn't great.)

If you liked the Antec P180 I'd say stick with it, buying $160 case on a $1-1.2K budget is going to cut in to the quality of other components.
Depending on the graphics card you get, the 500w may be fine for a single card build, for 2 though you'll probably want something beefier.

There is a ~$1,000 CAD build being worked out in the General Building section, might give you some ideas:
http://www.techist.com/forums/f75/build-advise-improvements-252313/

Thanks for the reply and after checking the thread out I think I wanna go a little beefier than that, I've thrown a system together and its a little over what I was thinking coming in at roughly $1500 CAD. What do you think?

Power Supply: $179.99 + $10 rebate
Newegg.ca - CORSAIR Professional Series HX850 (CMPSU-850HX) 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

GPU: $349.99
Newegg.ca - EVGA 012-P3-1571-KR GeForce GTX 570 HD w/Display-Port (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

RAM: $66.99
Newegg.ca - G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL11D-8GBSR

CPU + Mobo Combo: $509.98 + $20 Rebate
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz
EVGA P67 SLI 130-SB-E675-KR LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Newegg.ca - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

Heatsink: $39.99
Newegg.ca - COOLER MASTER Hyper N 520 RR-920-N520-GP 92mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Intel Core i7 compatible

Hard Drive: $139.99 I'll probably end up wanting 2 of these.
Newegg.ca - Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

As a system over all how does it look? and is it all compatible? Its a bit over my thought up price range but I can tinker with things if I feel its to much.
I guess my 3 questions are

1) Are there any price effective drops I could make to get more bang for my buck?

3) Should I swap one of those western digital s for an SSD?

2) When a product says its SLI ready does that mean its coming out of the box meant for SLI use and that Id have to change some settings to use just the one GPU?

I would drop the i7-2600k to an i5-2500k
If you plan on overclocking, I would get a higher end CPU cooler. Corsair H series comes to mind.
What case are you planning on using?
Yes I would definitely swap out a WD for an SSD. An SSD will give much higher performance.
SLI ready mans that it is SLI capable and comes with an SLI bridge AFAIK. An SLI capable video card shouldn't have to be installed any differently from any non SLI GPU.

Edit: oops, didn't see that you mentioned that you have an Antec P180 case.

Thanks for the reply! Sorry I'm a little chatty and like to cover all the angles on these things!

Alright so I've changed the

CPU + Mobo package to: $409.98
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost)
EVGA P67 SLI 130-SB-E675-KR LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Newegg.ca - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

I'm also reconsidering the Mobo and Ram. I'm thinking 2133 isn't worth it after doing a little research, which would mean that the Mobo cant use 1600? Plus the Mobo is roughly $50 more than others and that with the savings of getting 1600 Ram, that change would come close to another $100 saved. Or are people wrong and is the performance difference noticeably better?

and instead of one of the WD drives...
$119.99, Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC064MAG-1G1 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Newegg.ca - Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC064MAG-1G1 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

I'm also looking at the OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE120G 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) but its $165.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m2305X575088X87455a16a725b4ffed0d4a84941e3bd4

Idk if 64G's is enough for the SSD. The only thing I think id install on it other than windows would be Protools and maybe a game or 2.. need to give that one some more thought... anyone find out they run out of room quickly on these things?

As for the heat sink, isn't the H series liquid cooling? At least that's what its looking like on newegg. Idk how that will fair with my Antec P180 in terms of it fitting. I honestly don't like the case anymore its practically a mini fridge and it weighs a ton but its pretty solid at the same time and if it will do the job I really should just suck it up and deal with it lol. Couldn't I just get a better fan based heat sink if I wanted to over clock it? or is that too risky? I've never used liquid cooling before and as I understand it those units can take up quite a bit of space.

P.s. People seem to like this GPU better not much different, $20 more though.
MSI N570GTX Twin Frozr III PE/OC GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support ..
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127582

Thanks again for all the helpful comments!

Alright after some switching around this is what I've decided on its $1567 off newegg.ca (screw Canadian taxes) or $1283 off newegg.com (i.e. if I wanna have it shipped to my aunts place and go pick it up). Can anyone do a quick 2 second look through to see if i haven't made any mistakes or choose something stupid? Thanks in advance!!

Power Supply + Ram: $209
CORSAIR Professional Series 850W
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Mobo + CPU: $430
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz
ASUS SABERTOOTH P67 (REV 3.0)

GPU: $370
MSI N570GTX Twin Frozr III PE/OC GeForce GTX 570
Newegg.ca - MSI N570GTX Twin Frozr III PE/OC GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

SSD: $170
OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE120G 2.5" 120GB SATA II
Newegg.ca - OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE120G 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Hard Drive: $140
Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache
Newegg.ca - Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Wireless Card: $40
ASUS PCE-N15 PCI Express 300/300Mbps Transfer/Receive Rate Wireless Adapter
Newegg.ca - ASUS PCE-N15 Wireless Adapter IEEE 802.11b/g/n PCI Express 300/300Mbps Transfer/Receive Rate 64-bit WEP, 128-bit WEP, WPA2-PSK, WPA-PSK, WPS support

Case: My old Antec P180

I think that's everything... I also have two old CD/DVD RW drives from my old rig, those will work right?

Edit: I'm an idiot, I didn't realize the H series was so compact. Thanks ghost!!! I think I'll go with the H70 then!!

Yeah tell me about it!!! I was reading that the Philippines manufactures the majority of hardrives and that due to the flooding most of the factories were destroyed; analysists are saying prices are going to continue to go up for a while, since there isn't going to be enough to go around.

Thanks you two!! Yeah Fox, I've been looking around and even checking out some local stores, thanks for the link, I'll continue to look around!

One other thing, will that 850W power supply be enough if I want to add another GTX 570 in the future and overclock that i5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom