Handy Infomation for Computing Beginers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spud1200

Fully Optimized
This is just Some handy Infomation I've picked up over the Years for Beginers and People not so Tech Savvy, mabie the Elderly and Disabled.

I allways think, and think am rite on this that a Computer System should run at its Peek Proformence all the Time based on the Speck of that PC.

You could Try Ccleaner for the Windows OS (Operating System) Try sticking to the Default Settings, and if you need help, look at the Various Forums on the Internet, or Post on here, Tech-forums.net .

Do a Regular Defragmentation at least once a Month, threw in the Windows Start Menu in Win 7 Pro, and Home Premium.

Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Disk Defragmenter .

Theese Two Actions alone will Tremendusly help the Quality of your "Investment" and the Speed\Proformence of the PC.

Also Highly Recomended that you Use a Fully Paid for "Internet Security", not just nesseserily an Anti Virus. A Suit with Built in Protection against the Internet Nastys out their, and the Full capabilitys of System Scans ect. And with Fully Paid for Internet Security, you should get a Customer Service with it aswell. Mabie threw E - Mail, or Telephone Surport..

A Recomendation of Mine is KIS, Kaspersky Internet Security.

Also a Good recomendation to make is not to Click every Link on the Web, If you get a Pop up windows that Appears.. I just Close them but this can Lead to Infection such as Trojans and Worms, Key Loggers ect.

I allways use Genuine Web sites to Download Softwere such as Ccleaner from Piriform, instead of third Party sites, as they may be Infectious.

This is Probily the Best Advice I can give and that is if you are New to Computers and their Capability, stay away from Internet Banking untill you have a Good Famililarity with Laptop you are working with, or Desktop.. The Reason is, If you are Connected to the Internet Via Wireless, you Must Make sure you have a Fully Encrypted Wireless Connection, as it dosent take much to Log on Via someone elses Service.. But my Advice is to Go Wired. This will be done threw the Home Hub, also called a Router in wich the Ethernet Cable will connect to the Router and transmit threw the Cable to the acutal Computer\Terminal.

This inturn will Prevent anyone else Snaching the Signals out the Air. Mind you I would Recomend you contact your Surplier and make enquiries as to turn off the Router Wireless Capabilitys all together. Tech Surport mabie with here in the UK, such as Virgin, or BT, Sky..

If you have any Questions just ask them, thats how I learned, ask as many as you can think of, even if it sounds Stupid..

If you any Questions, Sign up here on Tech Forums, People will be happy to help espesh for the Newbies ou their..

:thumbsup:

Re: Some Handy Infomation for Computing Beginers

if you do online banking a handy tip to keep you safe for like...ever, wont matter >

most banks now offer a free chip and pin machine to use when you log in, a randomly generated code each time which only your keypad will know.

theft from online banking is almost always caused by keylogging or phishing attacks on websites that LOOK like the one you're trying to use.
However if you're sure of your banks website and they initiate an SSL connection to transmit data, one of these sessions is extremely difficulty to hijack as it requires a cipher negotiation and without the initial key from your machine a renegotiation wont work.

dont let this put you off, online banking is a great way to track finances, just be smart!

Actually, you don't need a paid suit of security to be secure. Most of them have forums now, where you can ask questions. I use Comodo Internet Security myself. Totally free, with antivirus, firewall, and spyware/malware protection. I had no problems with it. Benn using it maybe 2-3 years now.

I had a nasty infection of malware to get into my system, but Malwarebytes is an excellent program, found malware, demolished it, done.

I dont even use a Firewall or spyware/malware protection. I have an Anti-Virus installed, Microsoft Security Essentials (Completely Free), and do all sorts of online shopping. You dont have to use some random token generator or paid software. You have to be smart. Dont buy from sites you dont know. Simple as that.

If your looking for something and NewEgg has it for $50 and you found it on some random site found via Google for $45, a site you never heard of before nor has any reviews, dont buy it from there. buy it from a trusted source. So what if you spend $5 more. That money goes into knowing you are buying from a legit source.

So doing anything online doesnt require any type of Internet Security Suite, it doesnt require pay per use software. It require common sense to know to buy from a trusted source.

You wouldnt buy your food from a guy off the street corner. You would go to your local super market. It is the same thing. Use your head when shopping online and the cheapest price isnt always the cheapest buy.

I thought you said a g** off the street. :lol: Oh my...

Yeah, just common sense.

I agree you do have to be Smart on the Web, but alot of People are Not.. IMO, its as Simple as that. Their is alot of Elderly People out their who have Never used a Computer, Never Drove a Car, and Chances being wouldnt know how to Make an Online Banking Transaction within the Acutal Online Bank of their own..

I know about 3 - 4 People who are Millionairs, and Run for the Hills when you Say Online Banking or Telephone Banking.. I aggree its Verry Safe indeed but for those People of wich are Disabled for example, mite not Nesseserily recodnise a Threat. To me a Computer, Desktop\Laptop, is an Investment.. You wouldnt take a Lighter or Box of Maches to a £50 Note. Thats why me Self av allways insisted on Paid for Security even if its for the Customer Service, Via. Telephone..

My Local Retail Outlet on me Local High Street, Charges approx, £145 for a Service, of takeing the Laptop\Desktop, and Installing an OS. Even if you Bye a Paid for Suiet, you can take it back to the Shop for Advice ect, as opposed to the Forums.

Also anythink like (KIS) will Give you Statistics on Web Usage, Attempted Attacks, Ports that are Open, Infection Status based on that Softwere Capabilitys it self.. To me, and this is Me.. This is Infomation in wich to Learn by.

All am Saying is that People are not so Tech Savvy, so for the likes of Wired via, Ethernet, were as a Newbie, mite not know how to set up the Encryption.. Its alot Easyer and Safer..

If people are not so tech savvy, then don't give them an administration account.

As long as they run scans regularly, it should be no problem. You can even set up times for it to check.

You do not need a paid service to get all that.

BTW, please clean up your English and stop capitalizing every other word.

Also a Good recomendation to make is not to Click every Link on the Web, If you get a Pop up windows that Appears.. I just Close them but this can Lead to Infection such as Trojans and Worms, Key Loggers ect.

I was wondering, can you get viruses from just clicking a link/popup or do you actually have to run or save the file that a link/popup might give to you? I've always assumed that you can't get a virus without downloading anything - Am I wrong?

You can get malware from just by opening the page/pop-up. Amd malware can do almost as much as a virus can.

you can check with your ISP to see if they offer free security software. I downloaded and installed Norton Security for free from my family's ISP website. I'm not sure if the renewal subscription will be free tho.

I kinda regret doing it tho. I noticed the load times for web pages increased some of the time. Norton has some, i think they call it Confidential, mechanism for scanning a page for fraud before showing it on the screen.

so tweaking of the security software maybe needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom