Suspected Registry Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmus8039

Beta member
Recently had hard drive failure which required installation of new drive. Loaded Windows XP professional, all revelent drivers, Windows updates and applications. No issues for about a week until today. Upon booting up and coming to home screen I suddenly got a small window up asking me to "Choose a program you want to use to open this file." But instead of seeing a file, I see the following: {70AB5C6A-D3B3-4E9A-A3C3-F223FB87F510}. Since I don't know what file this is, it is hard to determine how to fix it. Looks like a registry entry. I get this each time I boot up my computer and come to home screen. Any ideas?

Cancel the window popup, you should be able to not unless it is persistant.
Also since you said you updated "most drivers" through windows, look at your hardware manager.
Check and see if one of your components the has wrong driver through windows update or cannot load right.

Thank you for your quick response. Yes I can cancel the window popup. To confirm, yes I did load all the drivers in windows. I have already checked the drivers in the hardware window. I did not see any wrong or missing drivers. This is the first time I have ever seen any thing like this, I mean with a registry entry. Usually I will see an application or pic or something that will want to know what I want to use to open that file with. Do you know of a way to check the registry item listed to see what it belongs to? Once I can determine what registry item this is, I should then be able to determine what I need to do. It might be unloading the application and reloading again, or looking for the specific file that is missing or something. Thanks!

I looked at the code you posted up, the only thing that could have gone wrong is a bad software install.
I thought about your problem, and I did have one similar to yours with xp sp2 and sp3.
I know you dont want to, but retry the installation again on 1gb usb drive and let windows xp install that way.
Keep note of what you reinstall and what xp updates, if you get it again and catch it, try to reverse the problem by getting rid of a certain update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom