Building a new gaming Rig, Looking for some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lukse17

Solid State Member
Hey guys. Ive always been an avid PC gamer just never had the funds to build my own PC, ive always took whatever I had (at the time the PC's my parents bought me) and upgraded them via ram, psu, or video card.

But now that im older and on my own and looking forward to playing SWTOR (been playing it on my old gaming rig I had for WoW) I noticed im horribly lagging, and horribly slow, and everything is choppy.

Here is the sad part, I dont know exactly what I need to build a rig myself. As stated before ive just upgraded what I had into something better that worked.

I know I need a case, motherboard, videocard, PSU, Ram, and such. But im not sure whatelse. Also here are the specs of my older HP that I upgraded if you guys think I could salvage anything for the new rig that would be awesome. Anywhere to save a buck would be great. (its not impressive so dont laugh haha)

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 12/24/2011, 00:19:23
Machine name: AARON-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.111025-1505)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion
System Model: KJ377AA-ABA m8400f
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) 9500 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3326MB RAM
Page File: 4111MB used, 2541MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GT 240
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GT 240
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0CA3&SUBSYS_12463842&REV_A2
Display Memory: 2385 MB
Dedicated Memory: 978 MB
Shared Memory: 1407 MB
Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Just grabbed those two from my DxDiag, I know My PSU is powerful enough to keep (750w) and I have 8gigs of ram, If anyone could help that would be awesome. Im computer savy, but not enough to build my own rig.

Sorry if this was long. Thanks.

hi,
first thing that you need to do is get the 64bit version of windows or your wasting your 8gb of ram as 32bit can only use max of 3gb if im not mistaken. your psu should be fine, i would upgrade your gpu, im currently running the gtx 570 and its amazing, however the 460 would be fine, some form of solid state drive will also help improve performance, case is up to personal choice. you want to find one that you like the look of as well as having a few thing, enough front ports for your liking (i.e. usb 3, esata, audio), big enough on the inside to house your gpu and a cpu cooler there also need to be a good amount of airflow or room to accommodate a water cooling system.
here is the build that i will be upgrading to in the very near future if that helps, i have designed this build to be a gaming friendly pc so to say, so that when swtor come to AU i can play it :).

case- thermaltake chaser mk 1
motherboard- ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Gen3 Motherboard
ram- Corsair CMT8GX3M2A1866C9 8GB (2x4GB) Dominator GT
hd- Seagate Barracuda 1TB ST31000524AS
solid state- OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD
gpu- ASUS GeForce GTX 570 DirectCU II 1280MB
cpu- intel core 15 2500k
cpu- cooler coolermaster v10
wifi card- ASUS PCE-N15 Wireless N PCIe Adaptor
optical drive- random dvd burner

you need to make sure that you motherboard, cpu and cpu cooler are all the same socket type otherwise they wont fit together.

i hope that helped a little bit, il pop back in a few days to see if i can help anymore

upgrade your video card to at least a AMD HD 5770/6770 or Nvidia 550 Ti and you'll be good to go.
according to your dxdiag log, you only have 6 gigs of memory.

Well now that I look at it, I can either buy Win7 64bit and allow my computer to see the 8 gigs I have sitting in there (4 2gig sticks) or build a whole new PC from scratch. Sadly my budget isnt that High, Was hoping for around 600 max, but doesnt look like ill get very far with that haha. Guess im looking at this stuff here, its on my newegg wish list just so I can somewhat keep track of it

Case - Roseweld Challanger Black Gaming ATX
Mobo - ASUS P8Z68-V LE LGA 1155
Processor - Intel Core i5-2400 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz
HD - Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS
RAM - x2 CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3
Vid Card - My current one EVGA Nvidia Gforce GT 240 (just to save some money for a little bit)
PSU - My current one Rosewill Xtreme Series RX750-S-B 750W

Now is there anything else I would need, I know I dont have an SSD listed, but ill get to it later on after the computer is built and such.

As far as a Disc Drive, could I just take the current one I have as well and put it into this build?

Also think this stuff would be compatible with eachother? I tried to make sure it was, but as said before im not the biggest tech guy out there.

I thought you were upgrading for SWTOR?
for gaming, the one part that would make the most difference is your video card.
your gt 240 is the part that's making you having crappy graphics.
I say upgrade your video card now and save up for everything else.
but hey, its your money, you can upgrade whatever you want.

everything looks compatible. i'd just get 1 set of those cosair vengeance ram though, 8gb is plenty.

i agree with Fat.Clown, if your not going to upgrade your gpu then there really isnt any point in doing anything, there is now way youl need 16 gb of ram, just run 2 4gb sticks. im also not to sure that an upgrades gpu eg the gtx560 would fit in that case just from having a quick look at it as there pretty big.

i agree with Fat.Clown, if your not going to upgrade your gpu then there really isnt any point in doing anything, there is now way youl need 16 gb of ram, just run 2 4gb sticks. im also not to sure that an upgrades gpu eg the gtx560 would fit in that case just from having a quick look at it as there pretty big.

Yeah the problem is a larger card (ie one that takes 2 spaces) doesnt fit into the case, due to the mobo having such little space. Thats why im thinking of just building a whole new rig, Im assuming the reason swtor is lagging so hard is one the GPU but 2 the 32 bit windows7 im running. Doesnt recognize anything more than what is it 3gigs?

And thank you Fat.clown for the feedback really helps.

any advice guys on a dvd/cd drive to use, say a reliable one. I dont watch movies on my computer, just burn CDs and install games. Dont need anything fancy like a blu-ray player.

Edit : gonna take your guys advice and go with a new gpu as well, what do you think about this one? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130572

Lukse17,

The 450 card you referenced seems to cost too much compared to a 460 GTX or a HD 6870 or 6850.

The 460 GTX or a HD 6870 or 6850 can be had for just a few dollars more and each of these cards far surpass the GTS 450 you listed. I encourage you to be a little more patient and wait for one of the faster cards to go on sale with a rebate if you don't mind sending in the rebate.

After waiting patiently, I was able to pick up XFX 6870's with life time warranty for under $110, and the Nvidia GTX 460's for $60-$70. I check Slickdeals a lot for great deals on computer components and you can even set up a notification to be notified for good deals on specific items.

Hope this helps you!

Soar

when you mentioned double slot cards doesn't fit, what other items are taking up the slots?

I am guessing one of them is probably a tv tuner card?
do you watch tv on your computer?
if you aren't using them, take them out.

that gts 450 is for lack of better word... overpriced.
for around the same price range, I'd recommend a nvidia gtx 550 ti or AMD hd 6770.
or maybe a HD 6850 or HD 6870 as Soarwitheagles suggested, which should keep you happy longer.

as for a dvd burner, they are a very mature product at this time.
any unit will perform just as well as any other. so just grab what's cheapest.

Cool, I just switched my wishlist around on new egg and this is the stuff im looking at right now, sorry for so many links. Oh and Fat.clown, its usually because the cards when that size are too long to fit in my case.

Case - Roseweld Challanger Black Gaming ATX
Mobo - ASUS P8Z68-V LE LGA 1155
**Processor** - Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz
HD - Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM
**RAM** - x2 Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3
**Vid Card** - EVGA 01G-P3-1556-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) FPB 1GB 192-bit
**PSU** - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V
Disc Drive - ASUS Black DVD-E818A7T/BLK/B/GEN - OEM

The stuff with ** are things I changed from before. I figure I mine as well spend some money and get quality, I changed the Ram because of a friend I played games with for awhile who said hes never had problems with Crucial, lowered the PSU since 750 seems like overkill, bumped up to a 2TB HD since I wont really have too much besides for a few games, and Itunes on this computer. As well as skype and ventrilo. Heard the 2500 i5 is much better and is the best bang for buck, so why not.

Any better guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom