PCI-E vs AGPxn

Status
Not open for further replies.

harrytewkesbury

Baseband Member
With the new(ish) technologies of pci express coming around, how viable is it that agp will be made obselete? is agp gonna get a x16 or something?

PCI express will become the new standard. In fact, mobos with a PCI-ex slot don't always have an AGP slow. I highly doubt AGP will get 16x, because if it did, there would be no reason for PCI-ex.

Well thats my point... surely there are advcates of AGP as well as PCI-E. I cant think of any examples but i imagine that it is in certain people's interests to keep the AGP format alive.

i imagine that it is in certain people's interests to keep the AGP format alive.
Why? I'm sure AGP will be viable for a few more years especially in budget systems but once more games and apps are developed to take advantage of the PCI-E architecture, the replacement will occur.

The vid card mfg's will just start pumping out pci-e cards...

That is true. Soon, new mobos will release chipsets that truly capture the power of pci-ex.

I think AGP will be out of the picture very very soon, maybe in the next few months. If you look, PCIe cards are priced lower than there AGP brothers. The movement has begun and it will not stop. It was the same thing with ISA to PCI. Even though ISA did hang around very long, it was just the odd one in the pack. AGP is useless now and it won't get 16x because PCIe has more bandwith and room for design.

I think AGP will be out of the picture very very soon, maybe in the next few months
No way, too many overclockers trying to maximize their hardware and agp cards will keep getting cheaper. As long as games come out that can be played close to max w/ agp cards, they'll be around.

harrytewkesbury, are you trying to make a purchasing decision based on this architecture difference?

Just another transition from one technology to another. We'll all just have to adjust and hope that our vid cards can last another generation

im not gonna buy a decent card for my next one anyway - im a firm believer in hard core budget systems! I was just curious to be honest. i was wondering if there would be a technology race between AGP and PCI-E thats all. i think i am satisfied, particularly by the comment that the hi-end PCI cards are cheaper than the AGP counterparts.

SLi will take over, which uses 2x PCI-Ex cards to double performance. Expensive, but ultra powerful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom