Studio XPS Desktop 435T/9000

Status
Not open for further replies.

rh31060

Beta member
I am have a problem with this unit, unplugged to remodel room, week later plugged unit up. System ran for a few days. Went to turn on one morning and nothing.

Plugged up, power button white,
press power button, it turns amber,
CPU fans and unit fans running.

That is it no post beeps , no video, no sound, nothing ....

Any Idea's ?

Try to remove the power cord to the PSU. Press the power button a few times to drain the power. Try putting the cord back in, any difference?

I had an HP that did something similar. It was in sleep/hibernate mode and didn't turn on with a press of the power button, I had to wait a minute or two until it completed entering sleep/hibernate mode and then press enter on the keyboard a few times.
When in sleep/hibernate the power button went from blue to amber.

Thanks for response I have tried that, to include these suggestions:
Hello,

First off, I would contact Dell Customer Service and report the problems you are having, as you can sometimes void a warranty (if any) that can sometimes help in the solution. I have experience with the Dell Help Desk, and I know they are more than willing to help you out.

Second, my primary machine is a Dell Studio XPS 8100 and the 9000 series is very similar, but a little different at the same time. After extensive research, and finding other issues similar to the one you are having, I have a couple questions for you:

1. At the time of when you unplugged the computer, were you hooked up to a UPS?

2. Was your machine showing any signs of this behavior before? i.e. extended boot times, hang time, etc.

I found this site explaining some issues of Uninterruptible Power Supplies and the Dell XPS 9000. It seems, in Dell's attempt to comply with European, they often don't comply with the "pseudo-sine" wave.

After looking throughout several other forums, I noticed a trend with the Studio XPS 9000 and power supply failures.

Found Here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/27...er-issues-9000

And Here
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/27...er-issues-9000

But this one closely resembles your issue the most: but there is no answer.
(You could possibly contact the starter of that thread to see what their issue was and if the got it resolved and how.)
http://en.community.dell.com/support....aspx#19808666

In fact, this entire list of problems pretty much are exactly the same problem you are having. I would check some of the replies to see if they can do anything to help your problem.

http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?...&advsrch=False

When worst comes to worst, if all else fails, and there is no hope in sight, I would start by replacing the motherboard as that seems to be the issue with the POST. A possibly brownout could have taken it out along with the power supply. If anything, I would start there. There also is the slight chance your machine is not recognizing the hard drive for some odd reason, but that would result in a beep code of sorts. Can you even get to the BIOS? Or are you locked out of that as well?

From my experience with the Studio XPS line, the amber light coming from the power button usually means it's in hibernate or standby, which is weird because I highly doubt it is in either one of those states. Though there is the slight chance it is in hibernate. (The Studio XPS's are hard to wake up from a hibernate. hold the power button for about 10 sec or so until the light goes completely off.)

Overall i think you best bet is to contact Dell, see what they have to say, but if not, try and use the ideas I gave you as they sometimes worked on my machine. ) But when nothing seems to work, and Dell can't help you, maybe it's time to get down and dirty with your machine. Replace some of its "guts".
biggrin.gif

Try to remove the power cord to the PSU. Press the power button a few times to drain the power. Try putting the cord back in, any difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom