Beta member
i recently built a new computer.

Antec 300 mini tower
OCZ 650w PSU
ASUS p8z68-v
intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz LGA1155
Muskin DDR3 ram 1333MHz dual channel 2x4GB
kingston SSD 128GB Sata3

I pwr on and i get BIOS. i make sure it boots from DVD drive or USB drive depending upon what im booting with.
i get part way through the windows install until it says Starting windows setup and then i get stop error 0x7b. the harddrive is brand new therefore no viruses. i also tried another drive from another comp and same error occurs so it isnt the harddrive. i even swapped out dvd drive with another and still same error. i tried windows xp 64 bit and linux mint. linux doesnt give stop error but says grub2 boot file cant be installed or somethin. ive tried booting from usb drive too and same issue.

Ooo so i wanted to give myself an early christmas gift but ive been at this for 3 days. i would sincerely appreciate any and all help and suggestions.

Additionally, it wouldnt even bios post till i removed my second stick of ram and im using the right config method as per asus manuel but it insists that i use only one stick of 4gb ram. not two. and i unno why it does that cause im pretty sure the system is built to handle two (8gb). soooo thats another less critical issue but worth mentioning. just... i have integrated graphics so far so i thought itd perform better with 8gb instead of 4gb, graphically wise.

Bug Check 0x7B: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

Cause

The INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE bug check frequently occurs because of a boot device failure. During I/O system initialization, the boot device driver might have failed to initialize the boot device (typically a hard disk). File system initialization might have failed because it did not recognize the data on the boot device. Also, repartitioning the system partition or installing a new SCSI adapter or disk controller might induce this error.

This error can also occur because of incompatible disk hardware. If the error occurred at the initial setup of the system, the system might have been installed on an unsupported disk or SCSI controller. Some controllers are supported only by drivers that are in the Windows Driver Library (WDL). (These drivers require the user to do a custom installation.)

Resolution

This error always occurs while the system is starting. This error frequently occurs before the debugger connection is established, so debugging can be difficult or impossible.

Resolving a failed boot device problem: If a boot device is at fault, you must edit the boot options.

Resolving an incompatible disk hardware problem: If Setup autodetects the controller, you might have to skip detection and use a specific manufacturer's disk to load the driver. Also, check the availability of updates for the system BIOS and SCSI controller firmware. Updates of this kind are typically available on the Web site or BBS of the hardware manufacturer.

Remove any recently added hardware, especially hard disk drives or controllers, to see if the error is resolved. If the problematic hardware is a hard disk drive, the disk firmware version might be incompatible with your version of the Windows operating system. Contact the manufacturer for updates. If you removed another piece of hardware and the error is resolved, IRQ or I/O port conflicts likely exist. Reconfigure the new device according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Confirm that all hard disk drivers, hard disk controllers, and SCSI adapters are listed in the Microsoft Windows Marketplace Tested Products List.

If you recently added a driver, restart your computer, and press F8 at the character-based menu that displays the operating system choices. In the Advanced Options menu, select the Last Known Good Configuration option. This option is most effective when you add only one driver or service at a time.

In addition, check your computer for viruses by using any up-to-date, commercial virus scanning software that examines the Master Boot Record of the hard disk. All Windows file systems can be infected by viruses.

This error can also occur because of hard disk corruption. Run Chkdsk /f /r on the system partition. You must restart the computer before the disk scan begins. If you cannot start the computer because of the error, use the Recovery Console and run Chkdsk /r.

If you cannot start the system in the last known good configuration, you should try to start off the Windows CD. Then, you can run Chkdsk from the Repair Console.

Warning If your system partition is formatted with the FAT file system, the long file names that the Windows operating system uses might be damaged if you use Scandisk or another MS-DOS-based hard disk tool to verify the integrity of your hard disk drive from MS-DOS. Always use the version of Chkdsk that matches your version of Windows.

If your system has SCSI adapters, contact the adapter manufacturer to obtain updated Windows drivers. Try disabling sync negotiation in the SCSI BIOS, checking the cabling and the SCSI IDs of each device, and confirming proper termination. For IDE devices, define the onboard IDE port as Primary only. Also check each IDE device for the proper master/subordinate/stand alone setting. Try removing all IDE devices except for hard disks. Finally, check the System Log in Event Viewer for additional error messages that might help identify the device or driver that is causing the error.

To analyze this error: Run an lm (List Loaded Modules) command in the debugger. Verify that the following drivers were loaded: disk, classpnp, ftdisk, partmgr, and FAT or NTFS.

I have come across this a couple of times and usually what I find fixes it is to do the following

go to the BIOS and try changing the SATA mode from AHCI to IDE

I don't know if it is a BIOS issue or a Windows Setup issue though, so it might still be worth you contacting ASUS as it may be an issue with the Motherboard/BIOS.
If they think it is a faulty Motherboard/BIOS they may advise updating the BIOS firmware or they may even advise to have it replaced under the warranty.

I have had this issue on laptops and usually find that the device is on its last legs when this happens

There should be no reason to turn on IDE Mode if the user is installing Vista/Win7. With Windows XP, yes. XP does not have native support for SATA at all. So I can understand the crashing from that stand point. But there is no reason why Vista/Win7 would crash with ACHI enabled. That means that there is a device conflict.

More than likely, the SSD needs the firmware to be updated over IDE mode activated. If they put the drive in IDE mode, it will actually slow down the SSD Drive.

So first off, i really appreciate the input and guidance. I felt lost and now i feel closer to solution.
I tried switching from ACHI to IDE like you suggested and now i get
"Setup cannot install to selected partition. You can only install to GPT disks on IA-64 machines and MBR disks on X-86 machines"

This msg comes after the windows setup asks you if you want to create or delete drive partitions.

As for bios and firmware..... are they the same idea? Ill spend today researching firmware and bios online but aside from telling computer where to boot from i've never touched the bios before and i've never had to deal with firmware updating either.

I really hope Mobo isn't defective. But do you guys think that's what's wrong?

Thank you- Timgerjit

Could this solve the issue? I'm at work now so I can't test it. Even if it is the issue why can't i use the second 4GB stick of ram? i think that must be related to the problem

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- FAQ P8Z68-V

@ timgerjit, please don't double post, if you have something else to add to the conversation and no one has posted a reply since your last post (within a 24 hr. period), please use the edit button (looks like a pencil) to add it to your previous post.

You can find the firmware for your SSD here.

I couldn't find the pencil icon on my desktop :-S um so i really hope the pencil icon on my app is the one you meant. It lead to reply thread. Please have patience if this is another faux pas cause i don't have any experience at forums. Its just that the situation has changed dramatically.

I've actually gotten windows xp 64bit installed. This was accomplished by reformatting my harddrive once more and by switching from ACHI to IDE. I went to auto update part of microsoft's web site and got all the updates i could i even downloaded. NET framework and directx.

Aside note: i have integrated graphics. Also remember there's still an issue where if i install a second slip of ram my motherboard wont even post, its dram error LED lights red and nothing happens.

I then went to asus and downloaded all software there too. However i cant install vga driver stuff. After i installed. NET framework i get GfxUI.exe- .NET Framework error Unable to find a version of the runtime to run this application. And with a few games i've installed i notice things are slower. Real slow. So graphical abilities of my comp are stunted.

The Pencil Icon in reference to Slay's post is part of our website. It allows you to edit your post to add in information. You dont see it in the Android App, cause that is custom designed. You need to touch the post, then select edit at the bottom. It has nothing at all to do with your home PC. It is so we can keep our forums neat and clean and not have 1 person post 15 times in a row before they get a response within a 24 hour period.

This is a Windows based forum, so the hardware question will not be answered here. I can answer any questions you want about Windows, but I dont know a dang thing about hardware. So telling me that the DIMM slot wont accept RAM only tells me the mobo is bad and needs to be replaced. If there is a fix, I dont know it and that is better asked in our hardware areas.

Yes XP X64 will install in IDE mode. As I already stated, XP doesnt have SATA Drivers and using IDE mode will slow down the functionality of your SSD Drive.

No the BIOS is not the same thing as the Firmware. Yes it does matter knowing the difference and yes you really need to read up and learn about them. Cause with SSD drives it is not as simple as just plug and use. There are Firmware updates that need to be done to the units in order to keep them up to date and fully operational. So while you just thought you were getting something really fast and cool, you should have done a bit more research to find out what it truly took to operate the drive properly. Cause operating with just an SSD Drive will kill your system faster than using a conventional drive.

Last but not least, you should not even be trying to run games on the system yet. You have issues upon issues and your trying to game on an unstable system? You just asking for a piece of hardware to fry and then you will be wondering why it happened. You need to slow down, take some steps back and start over. Building a PC is not a drag race. It isnt just done cause you put the parts together. You have to make it work properly. If your not willing to take the time to do this right, then you shouldnt have decided to build it yourself.

If this seems harsh or rude, cant help it. It is the honest truth to the situation. You are rushing just cause you want it to operate. You are skipping important steps and are only going to damage something in the long run and come back here either blaming us or wondering why. All we will tell you is you didnt want to listen you just wanted to have it and not do it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom