Can an AGP improve performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I am not mistaken, Flash media is heavy on the CPU, even when you have a good GPU on your system. A t-bird is VERY old, basically, P3 era, and just won't hold up to todays online tasks.

If I am not mistaken, Flash media is heavy on the CPU, even when you have a good GPU on your system. A t-bird is VERY old, basically, P3 era, and just won't hold up to todays online tasks.
Well, I've been told both things. People who tell me the AGP will improve, are aware of how old my CPU is, yet they still tell me it would help some.

So yeah.. it's confusing.

I found this article semi-interesting, seems Adobe 10.1 introduced GPU decoding for flash based video, but i can't find much on it, though, the cards supported are not compatible with your system.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2876

Sure, a GPU MIGHT help SOME, but I doubt it will help enough to smooth out anything. Do your self a favor, check the load on your CPU when running those flash videos, if your hitting 100%, even with the newest flash updates, unless you can find a recent GPU, it WONT help, as flash has always relied on your CPU very heavily.

Also, nearly everything you listed, is a CPU intensive task, barely anything on the GPU end.

EDIT: I decided to attempt to give ya a bit of proof about the CPU/GPU/Flash thing as best as I could.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/215/proofofcpu.jpg/

If you look, you will notice my network load goes up a bit, around that time my CPU load average also goes up just a bit, I have a far newer CPU than you do, so the load on mine isn't much, but on yours, it probably causes that poor thing to hit 100% EASILY. Now, look at my GPU load, 1% at most, ever, and it did that as I was moving windows between monitors.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00009368&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en
The specs list you as having a 250w PSU, which even if a GPU would help, you most likely couldn't power. But what interests me is it lists you as having a TNT2 16mb, which is very old, maybe a SMALL update wouldn't hurt, though, I am sure it wont be the worlds best thing since sliced bread.

Yeah I see what you mean.

I don't get why a lot of people told me it would work :/ specially people who are technicians.
I guess it's just pointless to get it then? I mean, I know the PSU could run it, the 6200 is listed as the highest AGP the 5106 can run. And this computer once ran a Rage 128mb, but as soon as that one had a little mishap, everything media on the computer went down the dreain.

You can try adding a larger GPU since your integrated apparently has 16mb of memory, it may help, but as far as youtube, it most likely will not help, at all.

A dedicate card can help in your case when watching other media formats that depend a bit more on your GPU, but your problem is just a dated system running modern software I feel. I don't think it would hurt to try a better dedicated card since apparently yours was removed, but as posted earlier, a picture of the internals to make sure of what hard ware you have would help us make sure something isn't a bit off.

You can try adding a larger GPU since your integrated apparently has 16mb of memory, it may help, but as far as youtube, it most likely will not help, at all.

A dedicate card can help in your case when watching other media formats that depend a bit more on your GPU, but your problem is just a dated system running modern software I feel. I don't think it would hurt to try a better dedicated card since apparently yours was removed, but as posted earlier, a picture of the internals to make sure of what hard ware you have would help us make sure something isn't a bit off.

All right, I'll snap a couple of pictures later with better lightning in here.

I tried taking pictures, but the resolution on my phone does not make the pictures justice.
Any other thing I could do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom