ARGHH, can't decide... amd vs. pentium

Status
Not open for further replies.
another question: i'm thinking of getting an external hard drive instead of the 160gb i have right now. what are some good ext. hd's that can be placed in the case and then removed and be used as portable hd's? that's the best description of them i can come up with, i forgot what they're called.

thanks

I'd say the Pentium 4 system would be better. The Pentium 4 has always been known for insane overclocks, even on the stock heatsink. Secondly, what everyone is telling you is true. The Pentium 4 is better for your uses; I use a Prescott for CAD, video editing, photo editing, gaming, and for homework (of course, my only pc). It runs really well and I've used an Athlon 64 3200+ and I'm quite happy with the Pentium 4, more than I was with the Athlon 64. The my Pentium 4 520 is running at ~3.3 GHz with Kingston DDR2 533 in Dual Channel. Since Pentium 4s are bandwith eaters, I feed them more bandwith. I would definately suggest a Pentium 4 over the Athlon 64 any day. However, for gaming the Athlon 64 is the best choice. However, I don't game enough on my PC to distinguish the gaming performance difference between an Athlon 64 and a Pentium 4. I run an X600Pro flashed to an X600XT and then OCed a little higher (I don't know the exact clock). It runs really well and I can get my work done with no lagging or anything. The Pentium 4 bosts superior performance for your purposes, but if you plan on doing heavy gaming the go for the Athlon 64. I'm an Intel fanboy, but I do give credit to AMD for being the enthusiast's best friend and the end-user's/mid-user's worst enemy. I also give the Pentium 4 credit for being the most well-rounded processor that is fine for an enthusiast, but could be better.

IMPORTANT

w.e you do dont get a 90nm chip w/ the abit av8 because it doesnt support it untill you flash bios, and abit mobos require the system to post first so you need a processor that actually works (ie. a 130 nm chip)

please dont make my mistake

thanks for the advice. if i do get the pentium, what would be a better vcard? 660gt or x700 (or any other pci-e vcard)?

thanks

t3rk1sh, i'll keep that in mind, thanks. the pentiums are 130nm right? i know the amd is 90nm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom