power supply advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEATHRUNE

Solid State Member
yes me again

as some of you know I am getting a new system, I don't have enough money to get a new power suply so I'll use my current one and replace that with something else.

It is a 720 watt 80+, not well known brand.

The new motherboard (crosshair v formula) requires a 8 pin for the cpu, it has another 4 pin extra, if someone was to oc.

What my question is, are these 8 pin cables the same as graphics cards? the yellow and black wires? I have 2x4 pin, but thats for my gpu.

I did hack my psu and added another 2x4 pin when I had a sli gpu.

So basically can someone here tell me if the 8pin socket of the motherboard has the same pins as graphics cards, its something like yellow and black. I could use the extra 2x4 pin for it then

Or should I just buy a new one, I really don't want to, I want an ssd instead.

Thanks for reading, looking forward to peoples advice

Your GPU uses a 6-pin or 6+2-pin.
Your CPU uses a 4-pin or 4+4-pin.

I'm not sure what you "hacked", but it probably wasn't a good idea.
A 720w PSU of any brand should have 2-4 6 or 6+2-pin connectors for your GPUs and at least 1 4+4-pin for your CPU.

Attachments

• pcie-connectors.jpg
    pcie-connectors.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 41
  • eps4plus4index.jpg
    eps4plus4index.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 42
Roark,, i thanks i forgot my new gpu requires 6 pin connectors, where as my gtx 275 only need 4+4 pin.

I hacked my psu by using 4 pin Molex wire and using the right wires connected to a cut off thing so it was a 4+4 pin, it works.

oh yes i forgot, sorry. I do have another additinal 4 pin connector thats being used for my cpu right now.

Alright, I'm sorry now again, I've just looked again at the new grappics card I'm getting (radeon 6950), and in most brands it will include molex's to 6 pin.

Using those cables, this should free me with a 4+4 pin, to use for the cpu, yes, the 24 pin is for the motherboard, 8 pin is for cpu, the 4 pin is just an extra, mainly for oc'ing, but the bulldozer fx-8150 mihgt need the extra power.

this leaves me with worrying if have enough power (wattage).

im guessing 720w is enough?, the graphics card will be
SAPPHIRE HD 6950 2GB dual fan and unlocked to 6970 shaders.

I will hope for over clocking wich could take more power...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom