deleting partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

g_booto

Baseband Member
Can some one please take me through the steps of how to get rid of a partitioned drive. I've been told to use f-disk but i dont know how or where to access it. please help me.:rolleyes:

make a dos boot disk, preferably windows 98. restart your computer, go into the bios and set your floppy drive to your first boot device, restart again, when you get to the a:\ type fdisk, hit enter and it will ask if you want to enable large disk support, select Y and hit enter, if you're on NTFS partitions it will ask something else that i never bothered reading lol, i put y in and hit enter, then just follow the onscreen instructions and if you have 2 hard drives make sure you select the correct drive(option 5 on the main menu)

isnt there f-disk on the XP pro CD? if there is how do i get to it and use it. and if not, how do where do i make the boot disk with a floppy?

g_booto,

Yes, you can use XP CD to delete partitions. Just insert the boot CD[Change the first boot device to CD ROM ]. Now when you restart your computer, a menu should appear about 'repair your xp ..blah bla...'.just press ESC . You will get a page displaying all the partition information and the options to be performed on those partitions. Check around

Sign
CodesL)

Yes...use the XP CD to delete your partitions. So many people on this forum suggest Fdisk, but with XP, Fdisk is no longer the method of managing partitions. Fdisk can't even create NTFS partitions. If you have an old DOS based Windows (95/98/ME), then use Fdisk. If not, its super easy to do with your XP CD. And also, if you want to delete a partition thats not a system partition, just use the Windows Disk Management program. To get into it, click start, run, and type "diskmgmt.msc". Hope that helps.

Partition Magic cannt be performed in a NTFS partition,

you can use a program named "server magic"!

Yes, PartitionMagic can handle ext2, ext3, ReiserFS, NTFS, FAT16, FAT32 and NTFS and possibly a few other filesystems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom