Am I being bottlenecked? (FPS isuses)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wootwoot

In Runtime
I recently put together my first rig. It's a budget build that I was hoping to play games like BF3,COD, and Skyrim on.

Specs:
CPU - AMD Phenom X4 955
MOBO - Gigabyte 970A
GPU - PowerColor HD 6850 1gb
PSU - CoolerMaster 650w
Memory - Kingston 8gb
***Hard drive - Western Digital 320GB 8MB cache (this is the only item I bought used and I believe that it's causing the FPS issues)

I just started up the campaign for BF3 and I'm getting around 15-20 FPS at most. This is on highest settings. I'm downloading the latest AMD driver right now and I'm wondering if I should have DX11 or 11.

Help?

What kinda rpm is the hard drive and it shouldnt matter usually games depend on gpu and cpu.

That might be the problem. For desktops, you always want 7200RPM. 5400 is used for laptops and storage to save power.

But could it really cause that much of a difference in FPS? I compared my performance to others with similar set ups and my system doesn't even compare at times.

What settings are you using in the game? You should be able to run on medium pretty good.

I just started up the campaign for BF3 and I'm getting around 15-20 FPS at most. This is on highest settings.

That's your problem, aside from a 5400 RPM hard drive. Sadly, BF3 is quite a demanding game. I have a similar build to you I would say, considering there wouldn't be much an FPS difference from 5400 --> 7400 RPM, don't quote me on this though. My graphics card is also on par with yours (the 6850 and the gtx 460 are nearly identical in terms of performance), and we are kinda there on cpu's with mines only being slightly better, it's not OC'd yet like my signature says.

Like trotter said, medium settings is what you want. I play multiplayer at 40-50 FPS, and it dips to as low as 35 in high-paced combat. And, I play on high settings, not the highest like you said, you just can't run it smoothly with that build and maxed out settings.

Test it out on medium, I would say you would have at the very least enjoyable results. But for the other games, you should be fine running them on atleast high, maybe not maxed.

Good Luck.

i have 2 monitors; my main one and a smaller one off to the side that i have loaded up with windows sidebar apps that report back cpu usage, gpu usage, network usage, and hdd usage. try doing something similar. if something is maxing out 100% all the time, thats the bottleneck. if thats not possible, you should have an administrative tool that will record system resources while you play which you can go back to.

im going to have to assume that its pulling textures from the harddrive and thats whats suffering. the only other time would be level loading between the bi-minute cut scenes.

Thanks for the responses. I just tried out Skyrim on high and it runs smoothly. I guess running BF3 on high settings is just a bit much for my rig. Thanks for the comparison iceyc0ld.

And jason, my loading times are ungodly...but I guess i'll have to deal with it.

Thanks for the help

Thanks for the responses. I just tried out Skyrim on high and it runs smoothly. I guess running BF3 on high settings is just a bit much for my rig. Thanks for the comparison iceyc0ld.

And jason, my loading times are ungodly...but I guess i'll have to deal with it.

Thanks for the help

Yep, proves my theory I Guess lol, BF3 is a heck of a demanding game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom