Intermittent Charging / Broken Strain Relief - Toshiba Satellite L305 Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

codeman00

Beta member
I have a Toshiba Satellite D305 Laptop and it has an intermittent charging issue as well as the strain relief inside the laptop case being broken.

The problem started the other day when I realized that my laptop wasn't charging. Upon more investigation, I realized that the strain relief inside the laptop must be broken because the internal connection was shoved back into the laptop hole. I then removed the top cover/keyboard off of the laptop and sure enough, the strain relief had broken. I gorilla glued and super glued it back in place. I assembled the laptop and when I plugged the charger in, the charge indicator light wouldn't turn on and laptop (Windows 7) didn't show that the power plug was plugged in. After moving the cord, I was able to get the charge light to come on and then it would go out...seemingly dependent on how the cord was moved.

What's interesting is that only the strain relief was broken, nothing else...yet I still the AC indicator light won't turn on 100% of the time. Before we deduce that the Mother board is broken, etc, we really can't deduce that, because the AC jack is a small box that is connected to wires that run in an S pattern with the wires locked down in the center of the S (another strain relief). The board is not hard connected to the AC jack as in other laptops.

So not understanding this, I disassembled the laptop again and checked the AC Jack. It was still in place What was interesting was that (without the battery), I plugged in the AC jack and the AC indicator light turned on. I unplugged and plugged it in several times and this light always came on when it was plugged in. I began putting the laptop back together once I put the battery in, the same problem occurred...the charge indicator wouldn't light up....the battery wasn't charging. I jiggled the cord and the light would come on and then go off, sometimes it would take several seconds to come on and a jiggling of the cord might make it turn back off. Strange because without the battery, the charge light would come on EVERY time....but with the battery in, it seems to be slow to come on and intermittent.

Since jiggling the charger seems to disconnect the charging AC, I think it could be the charger. It's strange though that BOTH of these problems could have happened at the same time (strain relief and intermittent charge), but is possible. I know the internal AC jack is now solid...surely it can't have a short in it all of a sudden. I guess a new charger is cheap..I could try that first...? Any help is appreciated.

Your connection between your A/C and battery is bad. Could simply be your PSU. (Connection inside your laptop)

I think I see what you are saying....but of course I'm trying to do the reasoning without an exact idea of the electronics between the AC cable / AC Jack and PSU. The connection that is rock solid is the AC to computer without the battery (charge light is on). The intermittent connection seems to be only when the battery is installed. And that's why you are pointing that its an internal connection problem between the AC and battery.

What I don't understand is how the breakage of the A/C jack strain relief could possibly fail at the exact same time as the connection between the A/C and battery. It just seems implausible, especially with a snaked wire from the board to the A/C Jack. Also, what does the PSU look like?

Can you help with the reasoning so I can learn?

I think I see what you are saying....but of course I'm trying to do the reasoning without an exact idea of the electronics between the AC cable / AC Jack and PSU. The connection that is rock solid is the AC to computer without the battery (charge light is on). The intermittent connection seems to be only when the battery is installed. And that's why you are pointing that its an internal connection problem between the AC and battery.

What I don't understand is how the breakage of the A/C jack strain relief could possibly fail at the exact same time as the connection between the A/C and battery. It just seems implausible, especially with a snaked wire from the board to the A/C Jack. Also, what does the PSU look like?

Can you help with the reasoning so I can learn?

Just wanted to follow up on this since I ended up getting so many helpful posts here on the tech forums...

My problem ended up being that the wire inside the adapter cable was apparently semi-broken to where current flowed but only when the cable was in a certain position. If I moved the cable, the connection would disconnect...sometimes on its own. Anyway, I finally isolated the problem to a specific 3" section of charging cable. $25 for a new adapter cable and everything is good again.

Didn't I tell you so? It was a loose connection.

I'm sorry you didn't get help, but not a whole lot of people can service laptops, as I. I was unsure how to address this, so I let another member, perhaps with more experience, take over. It appears no one else knew the answer.

Sorry, but we can't all be here 24/7, and no one person knows everything.

I probably should have been a little less sarcastic in my post and for that I apologize.

However, after my thorough listing of the symptoms, I was frustrated that I received a response that it was "a connection problem between the AC and the battery." Of course it was, that's really not a surprise. Electrons flow from the wall to the battery and since I wasn't getting electron flow 100%, of course there is a problem between the AC and the battery. I didn't think it looked like it was internal to the PC because when I was in there everything looked fine after I fixed the internal adapter. I didn't even think about the wire possibly being severed inside the cable...until my wife (who has more patience than me), went through the cable inch by inch and flexed it back and forth until she got the laptop to charge. Then I knew exactly what the problem was. It was surprising that it was the cable itself....and I'm glad I didn't have to send the laptop in for a cord problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom