RAID 0 SSD filling up to fast!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gordonie

In Runtime
I have 2x120g corsair force gt ssds configured in raid o. My os, windows 7 ultimate, programs and such are located on this drive. I have all my media stuff like pictures videos and such on another 2tb drive.

So far the biggest offenders I know of are
1: the os itself
2: battlefield 3
3: java and other programs
4: drivers and such

But thats really all, I haven't installed much of anything. I mean I just the computer together 2 weeks ago and I have already used almost 70gs of my 240g drive! whats doing on I know there no way I have used that much?

I heard that trimming gets disabled when you put ssds in raid o but these ssds are suppossed to have a garbage collecter built into them which is suppossed to keep them nice and tidy, however 70g in two weeks is not what I call clean. Any suggestions on whats going on or how I go about figuring out whats taking up so much space?

I tried highliting everything I have in C drive and it comes out to like 40g, but when I right click and hit properties I get 70g used up. whats that mean as well?

The biggest stuff I could find on the drive was "program files(x86)" at like 17g and then "windows" at 20g.

really not sure whats going on but at this rate the two ssds I paid 400$ for are going to fill up by the end of the year! I just noticed it so I will be tracking its growth, and If I dont add anything and it still grows, well then idk.

New to the software side here so speak dumb.

thanks!

I read the forum, so I have to download a program to help me clean it up?

Anyway, Now I am at 75g from 70g last night! I have not installed anything on my computer! this is bad,

Have you disabled system restore, and various other services that can cause such a buildup yet? Shadow Copies and System Restore points can eat a TON of storage.

Also, TRIM is disabled when you put an SSD in a RAID array due to the controller not being able to send the proper commands to the drives. Manufactures are starting to figure out ways around this, but your OS shouldn't show files you deleted, even though they will still remain in the drive till those drives remove it.

It is also possible, when the drives are in RAID, that they own internal garbage removal system becomes inactive due to how RAID operates.

Raid is really a bad idea with SSD's, or at least in my opinion.

Do you have a regular HDD in your system? You should set it up for Temp files, Temporary Internet files, Page file. You should disable System Restore, Defragmenter, Prefetch, Superfetch, Indexer. http://www.techist.com/forums/f128/ssd-tweak-guide-236563/

Is your system Intel or AMD based? Intel is working on a driver to enable TRIM support with Raid, it's not out yet but I expect it soon.

Welp, one way or another I trimmed down 10gigs thanks to yalls advice, however I have bigger problems now and I made a new post about it.

System specs:

PSU: corsair 1200 gold
MOBO: asus 68 deluxe gen 3
CPU: intel g530 duo, will upgrade to ivy bridge
GPU: nvidia 9600 gt, upgrading to amd 7970 next month
RAM: gskill 1600mhz 16g
HD: 2x120g corsair force gt ssd in raid 0, windows drive.
HD2: 2tb wd black
CASE: HAFX

ok, so before we start yes my cpu and gpu and grossly outdated, but I have plans to upgrade to ivy bridge and amd's southern islands, (7900 seires) as soon as they come out.

Currently I am attempting to run windows 7 ultimate on a pair of corsair force gt 120g ssds in raid 0 using the hardware controller built into the motherboard.

I have installed windows, as well as various drivers, office 2010, and a few other things. Everything is well except the whole system is just, glitchy. Certain things dont work like gagets and such, any audio I play stutters every half second, infact, the whole system every half second will stop for a second, and then continue. it really makes navigating the whole system a pain and I dont know whats going on.

I know its not a virus, I have pc tools and kasperkies and both their scans pull up nothing. Infact I reinstalled windows alltogether and I am still getting the same problem so unless I have a virus that can survive a formatting, then its not a virus.

I can take a video with my phone to show you whats going on if you would like, pretty much the whole system is stutters every half second. I have noticed it gets worse with system use.

I tried a few registry fixers and they found a bunch of stuff, one found 100 errors the other 1,000 errors, neither seemed to work. I hear they are all snake oil anyway so.

Anyway, really confused, tried everything, defragged all my hard drives, system scans, registry cleaners, restores, reinstalled drivers and windows itself. really bummed out at this point as I have been working on this new rig for the past week and cant seem to figure this out.

and I doubt this matter but the first time I installed windows 7 it ran good, then I tried ntune to oc my laggy gpu to maybe give me a little boost in bf3, I think things started going downhill from that install, it gave me bsod when I tried to run it, only to find out ntune is outdated and bad altogether haha and then I couldnt uninstall it! but even after the reinstall of windows 7 the problems persists so I dont think it is related.

I am truly starting to think my problem is hardware related. But which component should I persue a fix for? How do I check each ones functionality?

would love some help,

thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom