Need help with server!

Status
Not open for further replies.

webster247

Solid State Member
Ok, so im looking to build a little server, nufin fancy or anything. I have an old server case and mother borad but i still need the software and tips on how to get it up and running, its not ganna be one of the rack mount servers or anything, just something small that i can full around with, i cant afford anything at the moment, im only 16. so please free will be best! thank you!

Well i like to build websites, and my computer teacher at my high school is working with me to teach me html and all that, so i would like to make a server for my own persoanl website design and i might also want to host some space on the server. if that is possible, i am not the smartest at computers but i know alot for an average kid. so the diffculty level of building or programs wont be an issue, its just getting my hands on it and someone telling me what all i need on it?? dont know if that maid since. And i have a OS disc of linux somewhere, for when i looked into building a server along time ago. I heard there will need to be other software needed on top of having linux and all the features that come with it. Is that True?

Also, i just looked up on ubuntu's website, and i think it say sthat i can run uBuntu's server edition or whatever, on TOP of windows, that means that i can install windows and and then that, or would i install their OS and the server program?

Please don't double post within 24 hours. If you want to add something to your post in this time then you should use the edit button (looks like a pencil).

Building a webserver requires the following:
hardware - basically any computer with a network connection
OS - runs the computer allowing applications and services to utilise the hardware
HTTP server - listens on a port for HTTP requests and returns HTTP responses
optional:
DBMS - manages data in a structured manner suitable for convenient access by applications and services
script interpreter - runs server-side scripts, written by you, that perform actions on data or create responses to the user
stuff you don't need (but some people will tell you that you do):
separate database server
content management system
static external IP address (you'll need either a static IP or a dyndns account if you want an Internet facing server though)
virtual machines
RAID
windows server
gigabit ethernet
high specification server
lots of cash
degree in computer science
and the list goes on

Example:
Hardware - anything you have will probably be fine; 2GHz Pentium 4, CD RW, 512 MB RAM, 40GB IDE HDD, 10/100MBit ethernet card, PS2 keyboard and mouse, VGA monitor
OS - I don't recommend ubuntu server because it's command line only, nothing wrong with that if you have a bit of linux experience but for a first time user, a GUI would be less of a learning curve. Personally, I'd choose Debian.
HTTP server - There is a reasonable selection of HTTP servers but the choice here is pretty straight forward; apache.

With the above equipment, you can serve static content (that is, the HTML pages, images, XML data, text documents, PDF files or whatever else happens to be in the web directory on the server) but its not until you introduce a DBMS and a scripting language that things get really interesting.

I did intend to go on to write something about creating dynamic content with server-side scripting and databases but I'm running out of time so I'll have to cut that short and just say that if you have any further questions or want to know more about anything I have written, please feel free to ask.

+1 for Debian. It runs on a much sleeker level. Ubuntu is filled with too much eye-candy.

If you are running on a slower system, I would suggest LXDE as your desktop GUI.

Another question, i keep trying to download Ubutu and it keeps stoping and saying there was an inturption, which i was not on the computer at that time, and no one else in my home was either. So anyone know how i can install it on a disc or flash drive?

I downloads are not working, try getting it from a torrent.

You need a burning program like imgburn, or even Window's built in burner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom