Coolermaster Black Storm Sniper vs. Antec Red Lanboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Happy holidays to everyone again!

Ok, I am presently using the Storm Sniper for my AMD rig listed below in my signature. It has worked flawlessly now for a couple of years and I have been very happy with it. I especially like these specific points:

Pros:
Super wide side plate [I can hide so many wires there that it is funny].
Ability to control all fans with the built in fan controller
Ability to turn off all LED's with a simple flick of the switch
Heavy duty [the thing is built like a brick house or an M1 tank].
Cooling fans [3 x 200mm's with some 120mm's too] are doing a great job of throwing a lot of air around

Cons:
It is kinda ugly
Somehow my AMD 1055T runs 8c degrees hotter at idle than my Intel 2500K and both have the Hyper 212+.

I just purchased a new Antec Red Lanboy [it was less than half price] after waiting one entire year to upgrade my case

Not sure I made a good choice...many reviewers call it a modular case with lots of options...and it has tons of great reviews...as well as lots of eye candy...

Anyone here own one and if yes, can you give me some of your experiences or insights on it?

Anyone else familar with Antec's Lanboys and if yes, can you share your suggestions?

I'd appreciate all suggestions, comments, and constructive criticisms.

It's me,

Soar

PS I posted pics of my Sniper and I tried to post a pic of Newegg's version of the Lanboy but for some reason, this website would not permit it...says "not a valid image."

Anyway, here's the URL with the pics and specs:

Newegg.com - Antec Lanboy air Red Black / Red Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Modular Case

Somehow my AMD 1055T runs 8c degrees hotter at idle than my Intel 2500K and both have the Hyper 212+.
The 1055T is 45nm/125w TDP, 2500K is 32nm/95w TDP; so not odd that the AMD is running hotter.

Anyone here own one and if yes, can you give me some of your experiences or insights on it?
Anyone else familar with Antec's Lanboys and if yes, can you share your suggestions?
I'd appreciate all suggestions, comments, and constructive criticisms.
What kind of suggestions are you looking for? How to organize it or...

@ 1/2 price (~$70?) I think you got a good deal, would not pay $140 even with the rebate.
But thats just me, and considering I like the looks of the Storm Sniper and you think its ugly just goes to show how much personal preference plays in a case.

The 1055T is 45nm/125w TDP, 2500K is 32nm/95w TDP; so not odd that the AMD is running hotter.

What kind of suggestions are you looking for? How to organize it or...

@ 1/2 price (~$70?) I think you got a good deal, would not pay $140 even with the rebate.
But thats just me, and considering I like the looks of the Storm Sniper and you think its ugly just goes to show how much personal preference plays in a case.

Roar with a K,

Thanks for helping me understand why the AMD runs hotter....I never realized more wattage is running through the AMD than the Intel. Not sure what that nw is all about. I think I read somewhere it has something to do with the size of the die or cast or something like that...

Yes, I did find the Lanboy for an ok price [$89] when it was going for $189 at NE. This is considerably more than I paid for the Sniper [$50], and the CM 932 [$25]. I usually wait for killer deals, but I suppose I ran out of patience on this one...been waiting over one full year and saw nothing of interest during BF events.

Yes, you are totally right when personal preference comes into to play in this case with me...I sometimes wish I was so nerded out that I only would be concerned with performance...well, that is obviously not the case here...

Yes, I am wondering how to organize it. Here's my plan:

AMD 1100 or 1090 or an FX model CPU
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX Radeon 6870 or EVGA 460 GTX
1000 Watt OCZ Gold Modular
Antec Kuhler [My Corsair H70 leaked, so no more of those, no matter how cool they look (permanently removed from my personal preference list forever)].
Blue Ray player
SSD III
2-HD's 2TB each
Hauppuage 2250 TV capture card
Corsair Vengeance 16 gb of 1600 Mhz 1.5 volt Low Profile RAM

Finally, I always use one computer for every day use and one for backup. Both rigs are running flawlessly for the last year or so with the AMD being the daily computer and the Intel being the back up.

I am thinking I will switch to the Intel as the main rig because you say it uses less energy. Will the Intel 2500k save me energy $$$ vs. the AMD 1090, 1100, or FX?

And finally, which case would you sugggest for the main rig, the Lanboy or the HAF 932 and why? We live on a large ranch with tons of dust yet, neither case has dust screens. I normally blow out each computer case here every two months using my air compressor and it works great and it has never been a problem before.

It's me,

Soar

Unless you run a lot of programs that utilize all 6 cores of the AMD CPU I would definitely switch to the Intel as your daily rig, core for core its faster than the AMD.
All additional components the same, at stock speeds, the Intel will (should) save you $ over the long-run, though I doubt it will be a huge difference.

Are you planning on a 3rd rig, or upgrading your current AMD rig to the specs above?

Its a bit of a toss-up how to set up the cases.
On one hand I would want the fans in the LanBoy running 24/7-ish in a positive pressure setup with dust filters on the intakes to keep as much dust out as possible.
SilverStone Technology Co., Ltd.
On the other hand I'd probably want the AMD in the LanBoy since, although the HAF has amazing air-flow, the LanBoy is essentially just a mesh cage which should provide much better air-flow (cooling).

So, it might be worth keeping the AMD as the main rig in the LanBoy if you leave it on all the time just so it doesn't get completely choked with dust.
Using the 80+ Gold PSU in the AMD rig should certainly help with power consumption as well.

Unless you run a lot of programs that utilize all 6 cores of the AMD CPU I would definitely switch to the Intel as your daily rig, core for core its faster than the AMD.
All additional components the same, at stock speeds, the Intel will (should) save you $ over the long-run, though I doubt it will be a huge difference.

Are you planning on a 3rd rig, or upgrading your current AMD rig to the specs above?

Its a bit of a toss-up how to set up the cases.
On one hand I would want the fans in the LanBoy running 24/7-ish in a positive pressure setup with dust filters on the intakes to keep as much dust out as possible.
SilverStone Technology Co., Ltd.
On the other hand I'd probably want the AMD in the LanBoy since, although the HAF has amazing air-flow, the LanBoy is essentially just a mesh cage which should provide much better air-flow (cooling).

So, it might be worth keeping the AMD as the main rig in the LanBoy if you leave it on all the time just so it doesn't get completely choked with dust.
Using the 80+ Gold PSU in the AMD rig should certainly help with power consumption as well.

Roark,

Yes, I rarely run enough programs to warrant the use of all 6 cores, so I will definitley switch to the Intel for my main rig.

No, I am not planning on running a third rig....I kind of got in the habit of upgrading once per year for each rig...but...with all the poor reports on the FX chips, maybe I should just stick with the 1055T...remember, I do not do much gaming and I do not do much overclocking. Since I already purchased the GA 990-XFA-UD3, I will probably use that in the new AMD build.

After reading your good advice, I suppose I'll keep the Intel 2500k in the HAF 932 and put the AMD in the Lanboy...then maybe upgrade to a FX chip when the next generation arrives IF it lives up to the newest predictions for performance.

Have a wonderful day Roark and thanks again for the great advice!

Soar

I'm here to advise, and its a treat when people actually read what I take the time to write.

Yeah I would stick with the 1055T, its a nice little CPU and I doubt you'd see much improvement outside of benchmarks with a newer chip.
If you don't game, stick with the GTX460 thats already in there, like the 1055T it still has quite a bit of life left in it.
I wouldn't get the Antec Kuhler or 16GB of RAM. If you don't OC then there won't be much benefit from the cooler, and the 8GB you already have in each rig should be more than enough to last the next 1-2yrs of upgrade rotations.

Although, if you've already got all this stuff lying around (you're the one with all the sexy unopened parts aren't you) then there isn't anything wrong with going with your initial plan.

View attachment 5019
I'm here to advise, and its a treat when people actually read what I take the time to write.

Yeah I would stick with the 1055T, its a nice little CPU and I doubt you'd see much improvement outside of benchmarks with a newer chip.
If you don't game, stick with the GTX460 thats already in there, like the 1055T it still has quite a bit of life left in it.
I wouldn't get the Antec Kuhler or 16GB of RAM. If you don't OC then there won't be much benefit from the cooler, and the 8GB you already have in each rig should be more than enough to last the next 1-2yrs of upgrade rotations.

Although, if you've already got all this stuff lying around (you're the one with all the sexy unopened parts aren't you) then there isn't anything wrong with going with your initial plan.

Ok, sounds good. The 1055t has served well and I am sure I have not come anywhere near maxing it out. I am keeping my eyes on the new 2nd Generation AMD Pile Driver...but after the 1st Generation FX disappointment, for me, seeing is believing with AMD CPU's.

Yeah, I may hold off on the Antec Kuhler too....both CM Hyper 212+'s seem to be getting the job done well. After the leaking Corsair H70 destroyed my system, I am leery of using cheap closed loop CPU coolers. I posted a pic of the leak again. The leak [antifreeze] is clearly visible at the joint where the hose connects to the water pump.

I am still pondering using the Radeon's 6870's, but as you said, the GTX 460's are getting the job done fine. From time to time I do have lots of extra components laying around after doing large amounts of sales of computer components. It is mostly leftovers, but that is how I build my home systems for free or nearly free.

BTW, the Antec Lanboy just arrived a couple of minutes ago and I am totally excited about building a system with it. I suppose I will need to read up and look at lots of pics of examples of how people set their systems up. There are so many options and configuration possibilities that it is a bit mind boggling for me.

Ok, one last question: I recently got a great deal on some motherboards...one of these is the Gigabyte GA-Z68-AP-D3. I kept one of these units because someone told me I can run graphics at very low power directly off my Intel 2500k. I thought that was a great idea! Well, here is my question:

Can I switch between the graphics on the Intel 2500k CPU and a 6870 that would be installed in the PCI ex slot on the motherboard? If yes, how does this switch occur? In other words, may I switch between the two graphics simply by flipping a switch, or, does the machine itself switch according to immediate needs? Must it be configured only through the BIOS, so that any switching must be done via a BIOS adjustment?

I cannot seem to find anyone that knows these answers. Does anyone here at this forum have this motherboard [or one that is similar] and can they give me a good answer on this?

Thanks,

Soar

As far as I know, once a GPU is plugged into a PCIe slot and the computer is turned on the card will draw power.
I believe there is a way to disable discrete graphics with the card installed and just run off integrated; however, I assume it would still be drawing power as long as it is installed.

If you're not going to be gaming at all, or at least doing very low intensity gaming, then I'd say go with integrated graphics and remove the discrete GPU.
Discrete GPUs are one of the largest, if not the largest, power draws in a build; so taking out the GPU will certainly reduce your power consumption.

As far as I know, once a GPU is plugged into a PCIe slot and the computer is turned on the card will draw power.
I believe there is a way to disable discrete graphics with the card installed and just run off integrated; however, I assume it would still be drawing power as long as it is installed.

If you're not going to be gaming at all, or at least doing very low intensity gaming, then I'd say go with integrated graphics and remove the discrete GPU.
Discrete GPUs are one of the largest, if not the largest, power draws in a build; so taking out the GPU will certainly reduce your power consumption.

Roark,

Ok, but it appears I still cannot obtain a clear answer [not even at Gigabyte's forum] in regards to the feasibility of the switching between the descrete and the integrated GPU.

Ok, I must be 100% honest. Every once in a while, I would like to at least test drive some of the newer games...in fact I have had BF3 sitting on my desk for two weeks and it keeps calling my name...

I was hoping I could build a rig that would sip the GPU watts by using the integrated Intel 2500k GPU when I was doing the simple stuff, then when I was doing my GPU intensive applications, switch over to the 6870.

It appears as if no one really has a clear and concise answer on whether or not this is possible and how it could be done...

Soar

PS It is ok to say, "I don't know!" or, "I haven't the slightest clue!"

*****PSS Here is what Gigabyte says about the GA-Z69AP-D3:

Switchable Graphics with LucidLogix Virtu GPU Virtualization
GIGABYTE Z68 motherboards are enabled with LucidLogix Virtu GPU Virtualization technology which allows users to dynamically switch between their built-in graphics and their high-end, 3D discrete graphics cards. This is ideal for gamers who require high-resolution gaming and still want to enjoy the built-in media features of 2nd generation Intel® Core™ processors. In so doing, switchable graphics helps to dramatically reduce PC graphics power consumption.*****

Ok, the key words here appear to be "Dynamically switch." The problem is, they do not explain how that is done....

EDIT:

Ok, I found the answer....just took a little more digging. Here it is, and very surprising too:

How Virtu GPU Virtualization Works
Lucid Virtu software is able to assign tasks in real time to the best available graphics resource based on power, performance and features considerations, with no need for additional hardware. If high end graphics power is needed for applications like DirectX 11, high-resolution 3D gaming, the system will assign the job to the discrete GPU. If not, the discrete GPU automatically goes into idle mode, while heat drops, fan speed slows down and GPU utilization goes down to zero, resulting in a green, power-efficient, long-lasting system.

How Virtu GPU Virtualization Works
Lucid Virtu software is able to assign tasks in real time to the best available graphics resource based on power, performance and features considerations, with no need for additional hardware. If high end graphics power is needed for applications like DirectX 11, high-resolution 3D gaming, the system will assign the job to the discrete GPU. If not, the discrete GPU automatically goes into idle mode, while heat drops, fan speed slows down and GPU utilization goes down to zero, resulting in a green, power-efficient, long-lasting system.
That is quite nifty! I knew there was a way to run one or the other, just mistaken in thinking you had to manually switch between integrated and discrete.

I am curious as to what the power draw difference is going to be though, might be something worth testing for techies everywhere if you have a way to measure your system's power draw.
It puts your discrete GPU into idle mode, which should mean its still drawing roughly 160-170w (source | source).
So the question becomes: with your GPU always drawing idle power, is your integrated graphics really more power efficient at low-end tasks?
I'm guessing the answer is probably "yes" otherwise they wouldn't have added it into the motherboard, unless its just a total gimmick (yeah, I'm a little cynical).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom